ISUganda presents opportunity to assist families, children of Uganda

Frances Myers

ISU students will have the opportunity Thursday to see how they can impact families and children of Uganda.

“Invisible Children: Stories of War,” will feature Asimwe Proscovia giving a first-hand account of her experiences abroad as part of the Invisible Children Inc.’s Legacy Scholarship Program.

Invisible Children Inc. is an organization that works to rebuild education in northern Uganda, a region recovering from more than 20 years of war. Proscovia is a recent graduate of the Legacy Scholarship Program, which raises money for students in Uganda to attend school. The program provides full scholarships to attend school, as well as dedicated mentors to help the children succeed.

Proscovia was requested by ISUganda, a student organization, which helps raise awareness for the children and families in Northern Uganda affected by the 23-year civil war. The group has partnered with Invisible Children at times in its efforts.

“It was originally planned as an ISUganda event, but then we were able to partner with the World Affairs Lecture Series,” said Josh Rivenbark, senior in biochemistry and president of ISUganda. “It’s now officially a part of the lecture series.”

ISUganda has worked extensively on campus to raise awareness to its cause and to raise money for efforts in war-torn Uganda.

“Last year we partnered with Dub-H for their end of the semester performance, so we set up a booth at the show and held a raffle to raise money,” Rivenbark said. “[ISU hip-hop club Dub-H] also donated a portion of [its] ticket proceeds to our cause, which was awesome. This year our main method of raising awareness has been through screenings of Invisible Children movies.”

ISUganda presented ISU honors students with “The Rescue,” a documentary by Invisible Children Inc.

ISUganda has also raised money for Invisible Children’s Schools for Schools. In this program, schools in the United States partner with schools in Northern Uganda and Congo. The money raised goes toward scholarships for schools in Uganda as well as for building and improving facilities.

Proscovia will share her experience as a recent graduate of the Invisible Children Legacy Scholarship Program on Thursday. Students of this program are typically child mothers, displaced persons or orphans as a result of war who refuse to be defined by their past.

Students accepted into the Legacy Scholarship Program are total orphans, heads of household, formerly abducted returnees, those living positively with HIV/AIDS or child mothers, according to Invisible Children’s official website.

The lecture will use documentary films about war-impacted children in east Africa as well as international speaking tours to advocate for access to education and economic development.