Campustown business owners skeptical of redevelopment project

Kayla Schantz

Christy Radach sat in the back of her store, surrounded by beads, jewelry, incense and sculptures.

“I’ve been in Campustown 14 years,” said Radach, owner of Grandma’s Attic on 125 Welch Ave. “It concerns me because I don’t know what’s going to happen to me … and my business.”

The city of Ames hired development company Lane4 Property Group last spring to revitalize Campustown. Although the project is still in the planning stages, many commercial owners in the area have expressed concern over the future of their businesses.

“I’ve heard that property values are going to go up, which means my rent goes up, which makes it harder for me as a very small, very independent businesswoman to stay in business,” Radach said. “That’s my main concern: [that] I’m going to be priced out of my area.”

Lane4 met with several interest groups during the summer to hear from Ames residents what they thought needed to change in Campustown.

In a public presentation in October, Lane4 consultants said from those meetings they determined that major weaknesses of Campustown are that it is currently limited to uses that attract only students, and also that the area is only vibrant during the night.

The project goals are to have Campustown be an attractive and inviting place where people of all ages can go to spend time during the day.

“That makes it more of an invigorating environment,” said Steve Schainker, Ames city manager. “[And] a more economically viable project, because you have a broader market that’s going there to spend money than just students.

“[Y]ou get more variety, and better opportunities are offered in the area.”

But business owners like Radach feel anxious about the new companies Lane4 is planning on bringing in to accomplish those goals.

“It’s all speculative,” Radach said. “I’m an established business; I’ve been here for a long time, why would you oust me? I don’t get it.”

On the other hand, another Campustown business owner said she sees the advantages in the redevelopment project.

Allison Nelson, owner of A Snack In The Face on 2414 Lincoln Way, said that all the retail business owners in Campustown realize that business is not as good as it could be.

Nelson said it is hard for students to cross Lincoln Way with busy four-lane traffic into Campustown, and that residents rarely want to come to the area because there are meters and limited parking space.

“I think people avoid us,” Nelson said. “[People are] anxious to come down here because it’s just too inconvenient for them.”

Nelson said right now Campustown is not made for people to walk around the area and browse the shops and businesses, so daytime businesses suffer.

“It’s got to be a really strong draw to get them to come down here, and right now I don’t think we have that,” Nelson said. “And that’s too bad, because it could be just great. We have a gorgeous campus, and people should be enjoying it and enjoying this area.”

Radach said if LANE4 could figure out a way to bring in new businesses without forcing the existing businesses to leave or raising property expenses, she would be supportive of the project.

However, the plans remain undefined and business owners in Campustown are waiting to hear more concrete plans.

“I like Campustown. It’s a good place to be. I like being around college students,” Radach said. “It makes my future very uncertain with the kinds of things they’re talking about.”