LETTER: Student input will give Campustown’s renovation fullest potential

The redevelopment of Campustown is one of the most exciting projects the city of Ames and Iowa State have seen in recent years. Students and non-students agree that the area is in serious need of a facelift and an economic boost. We have been presented with a fantastic opportunity to make much-needed changes in the upcoming year.

The city of Ames reached an agreement in the spring, naming LANE4 Property Group the master developer for the Campustown area, setting the stage for an infusion of new economic activity into the area. A vibrant, successful Campustown can be an extremely valuable recruiting tool for our university and can truly enhance student life here at Iowa State.

I have been very impressed so far in working with LANE4 Property Group. They have been very receptive to the needs of students, community members, Iowa State and others who have interests in Campustown. They have pledged to maintain a focus on the small businesses we currently enjoy in the area, and I firmly believe they will stick to this pledge.

They recognize that students are the lifeblood of Campustown and are very interested in keeping activities and services student-focused. Their plans at this point are very preliminary and remain open to thorough revision as feedback is gathered.

It is essential that we as students voice our opinions as plans for Campustown begin to take shape. LANE4 has made very clear that the project cannot reach its fullest potential without student input along the way. I would be happy to pass along any feedback to be sent to LANE4; please e-mail [email protected] with any questions or comments you’d like me to send.

I remain very positive and optimistic about the future for Campustown and am looking forward to seeing plans progress in the upcoming weeks.