Student postpones graduation for gymnastics business

Mindy Dickerson

Former ISU student Courtney Crandall’s success continued since creating her own business in June of last year.

Crandall, the owner of SUCCESS Gymnastics Academy, has been involved with the sport for the majority of her life and used her experience to create a thriving business of her own.

“I haven’t had any real problems or troubles so far, and I feel very blessed to have a business that was successful right from the start,” Crandall said.

She began her gymnastics career when she was 3 years old, and continued it by coaching while she was in college. Crandall wanted to continue performing in college; however, an injury to her ACL in her sophomore year of high school prevented her from doing that.

Although she was unable to perform during the end of her high school career and throughout college, she was able to remain active in gymnastics through coaching. She began coaching when she was 17 years old.

“I kind of lived by ‘everything happens for a reason,'” Crandall said. “I just thought, if I can’t do it, why not help people?”

During the time that Crandall was coaching, she began to consider opening up a facility of her own. It soon began to be a thought that would consume a large part of her life.

“There came a point in time where I think I started to develop my own coaching and management philosophies,” Crandall said. “For many months, I thought how great it would be to have my own gym. I had discussed my thoughts with my parents and with Amy Pyle [former ISU gymnastics coach], and when the opportunity to move into our current facility came about, we just went for it.”

Crandall began her business while she was still a junior in kinesiology at Iowa State, and had to postpone her graduation to run the gym. In order to pay for SUCCESS and its workers, Crandall needed to take out a $100,000 loan.

“The bank wanted me to take a year off to get the business started,” Crandall said. “The guidance I received from my bank was just tremendous.”

Not only did Crandall receive money from her bank, she also was given donations from two of her athletes’ parents that enabled her to get her business off the ground.

After being open for more than a year, SUCCESS has been named “The Best of Story County 2010.” It currently teaches more than 260 girls, and the facility recently expanded 40 more feet. The facility’s success has even caused Ames Park and Recreation Fitness Center to ask SUCCESS to take over its gymnastics program.

Crandall continues to coach gymnastics to higher-level athletes, while she manages the business side of things during the day.

Although Crandall has not yet graduated, she hopes to return in the spring of next year.

“I have one semester’s worth of credits left to take, but I’ll probably have to split it up so I can continue to run the gym,” Crandall said.

As a 23-year-old business owner, Crandall works hard to help others who want to start their own business.

“If you want something bad enough, and you don’t give up on it, your dreams certainly can come true,” Crandall said. “You have to understand that there will be tough times and plenty of long hours and work along the way, but you have to keep on pushing ahead. If people are offering to help you, let them. Then don’t forget where the help came from.”