Cyclone volleyball signs three players for 2011

Travis Cordes

Three high school seniors signed letters of intent on Wednesday morning to give Christy Johnson-Lynch and the ISU volleyball program another standout class.

The 2011 freshman class consists of locally-grown Midwestern talent, with one player from the Kansas City metro area and two more from less than an hour away.

Highlighting the class is the 6-foot-3-inch Johnston High School standout Tory Knuth, younger sister of current Cyclone sophomore Taylor Knuth.

Knuth averaged 4.6 kills per set as a middle blocker for the Dragons in her senior year and was named to the Under Armour All-American Watch List as well as the 2010 Des Moines Register All-CIML Elite Team.

She was also recognized by PrepVolleyball.com as one of the top 50 high school recruits in the nation for 2011.

Joining Knuth from the Des Moines area is 5-foot-6-inch setter and defensive specialist Taylor Goetz of Ankeny. Johnson-Lynch expects to potentially use her at both positions.

Goetz earned nearly all of the same accolades as Knuth, as she was also named to theĀ Under Armour All-American Watch List as well as the 2010 Des Moines Register All-CIML Elite Team.

PrepVolleyball.com sent recognition in Goetz’s direction as well, as she was named one of 2011’s Defensive Dandies by the website.

Rounding out the class is athletic 6-foot-2-inch outside hitter Victoria Hurtt from Archbishop O’Hara High School in Kansas City, Mo.

Despite receiving little attention as far national recognition as a recruit, Hurtt is one of the most decorated high school athletes to sign with the Cyclones in recent years.

Hurtt led the Celtics to four straight Missouri Class 3 championships and was incredibly named to the all-metro, all-district, all-conference and all-state teams every single year.

This marks the fourth straight year that the Cyclones have signed at least one player in the country’s top 70 recruits as ranked by PrepVolleyball.com.

Knuth joins junior Kelsey Peterson (No. 60 recruit); sophomores Alison Landwehr (No. 22) and Jamie Straube (No. 24); and freshmen Hannah Johnson (No. 63) and Hannah Willms (No. 37) as current Cyclones who garnered that honor in high school.