Students bring awareness to organizations through Paint War

Photo: Bryan Langfeldt/Iowa State Daily

Michelle Thomas (left), sophomore in pre-vet, and Collin Bartels sophomore in computer engineering throw paint-soaked foam balls at Nick Anderson. SUB hosted paint wars for Senior Week on Wednesday on Central Campus.

Krupali Desai

Paint stained the bodies of students on Central Campus who took part in Paint Wars. The event was sponsored by Dance Marathon, Student Alumni Leadership Council and Student Union Board.

“We decided that it was a fun event to bring awareness to the organizations,” said Marybeth Konkowski, president of Student Union Board and junior in communication studies.

The war was played by picking one of the three organizations’ colors, teal for DM, red for SALC or lime for SUB, — and throwing sponge-like balls dipped in paint at opposing teams.

The goal was to get the participant’s team’s color on other people without getting any on oneself. With four rounds and breaks in between, the event lasted slightly less than an hour.

The students used diluted paint with one-third parts paint and three parts water, and there was a bucket with soap and water so players could wash off, Konkowski said.

“I thought it was a lot of fun,” Konkowski said. “We wish we would have had it in the early fall when it’s nice and warm, but overall we had a great turnout, and everyone had a lot of fun. We’ll definitely think about doing it again in the future.”