Beth Wessel-Kroeschell is a leader of note

If you’re like me you may be looking for a bright spot in the current political climate.

Although national politics may often seem to be going nowhere and have you feeling like you can’t do anything to change the world, have no fear; you have no further to look for a bright spot than our own State Rep. Beth Wessel-Kroeschell, who is up for re-election this year. As students we should be grateful to have Beth as our state representative for many reasons.

One great thing about Beth is that she is always available to talk to students. Every time I send Beth an e-mail she replies about 10 times faster than any professor I have ever e-mailed. Not only does the reply, but she is always enthusiastically looking to talk to more students in order to better serve the students of Iowa State who make up a large part of her constituency. I would encourage you to send Beth an e-mail with anything you are concerned about so she can fight more effectively for you in Des Moines.

Another reason Beth is so great is that she has worked hard to make it easier for students to register to vote. This is not only important for students who forget to register before the day of an election, but also because most students are constantly on the move and in need of a change of address.  

With the same-day voter registration law that Beth helped pass as the floor manager all students need to do is show up on election day with a proof of address and they can fulfill their civic duty. Not only has Beth enabled students’ voices to be heard, she also has helped to lighten our load of debt. She is a strong supporter of work-study programs, loan forgiveness and has worked tirelessly to get Iowa State as much funding as possible. She was the lead sponsor on an amendment to add $9 million to the Regents last session, and 3.2 million of that was to be allocated to Iowa State.

Beth is also a strong supporter of Iowa’s natural resources, she advocates for more outdoor recreational facilities; another great benefit for students who love to spend time outdoors.  

The list of Beth’s accomplishments goes on and on. If you have any questions about what else Beth is working on feel free to e-mail her, and if you appreciate her work make sure you support her with your vote this fall.