ISU political organizations give students chance to make a difference

Alayna Flor

ISU students are taking a hands-on approach to the 2010 election.  

“We want to voice our concerns, but have fun doing it,” said Chase Hunter, treasurer of ISU College Republicans and sophomore in political science. “Getting students involved and making them want to vote; becoming aware of how the government decisions affect them.”

There are more than seven organizations on campus that are getting involved with campaigns, including the ISU Democrats, ISU College Republicans and ActivUS, a student activist group. All share a common goal: Inform others and make life at college better for everyone.

“We want to see change on campus, at the very least concrete plans for change. We also want our members to learn the skills for organizing and executing a successful campaign,” said Anna Waddick, president of ActivUs and senior in art and design. “We are focusing on the issues that exist here on campus and by doing so we are hoping that they will become issues on a larger platform.”

The job market, budget cuts and use of nonrenewable resources on campus are some of the concerns of these groups, and they work one-on-one with candidates to be informed.

“With tuition increases and also increases on interest loans, we try to get kids to pay attention to how it affects them. Like the 10 percent budget cut, how it trickles down into the education system,” Hunter said.

The biggest goal of these groups for the 2010 campaigns is “to get the student vote out. There is a sense that somehow all of those young people who came out in 2008 won’t show up Nov. 2,” said Adam Kenworthy, president of ISU Democrats and senior in English. “Thinking that not voting out of frustration is the cure for difficult times … [It is] actually unproductive.”

All organizations’ contact information can be found under student organizations in the political and activism tab. All groups are open and welcome to anyone interested or with questions.

No matter the opinion or viewpoint a student holds, there is an organization out there to be involved in. Far left, far right or smack-dab in the middle, there is a way for all students to voice their opinions.

“We pick issues that we believe should be addressed on campus, and we work to see change,” Waddick said.