Campaign Iowa State surpasses fundraising goals

Paige Godden

Campaign Iowa State has already surpassed its goal of raising $800 million.

The campaign doesn’t end until June 30 and has already earned $804.8 million.

The program has been going on for several years in order to accomplish some of the university’s goals.

The organization has four broad categories of fundraising: student aid and scholarships, endowed chairs and professorships, facilities and a big category of everything else, said Warren Madden, vice president of business and finance.

Once the campaign is complete, it will have put $235 million toward increasing need and merit-based scholarships, which are available to support students in all programs.

Faculty support will be funded by $215 million. The university has already reached its goal of doubling endowed professorships and chairpersons from 75 to 150, Madden said.

Part of Iowa State’s 2010 to 2016 strategic plan that Elizabeth Hoffman, vice president and provost, presented to the Board of Regents in September is to recruit, support and retain a diverse group of outstanding faculty and staff.

“Competition for the best scholars is intense, one of the most effective ways to attract and retain world-class faculty is to offer endowed chair[persons], professorships and fellowships,” according to the Campaign Iowa State website.

Another portion of the money will support facilities on campus.

Madden said some of the money has gone toward building Hach Hall, the new chemistry building. A dedication ceremony for the $75 million building will be at 2 p.m. Friday.

Another $195 million will fund program support.

“Campaign Iowa State will help enhance the student experience in many areas,” according to the website.