Mass’ consistency leads to conference record

Ashley+Mass+dives+for+the+ball+during+the+game+against+Texas+Tech+on+Oct.+6+at+Ames+High+School.+Mass+had+21+digs+during+the+game+against+Texas+A%26amp%3BM+on+Saturday%2C+and+broke+the+Big+12+record+for+most+digs+in+a+collegiate+career.+

File photo: Manfred Brugger/Iowa State Daily

Ashley Mass dives for the ball during the game against Texas Tech on Oct. 6 at Ames High School. Mass had 21 digs during the game against Texas A&M on Saturday, and broke the Big 12 record for most digs in a collegiate career.

Dan Tracy

Before an opposing hitter attacks the ball at the net, ISU senior libero Ashley Mass finds that positive self-talk helps her maintain focus amidst the misdirected balls, diving plays and floor burns that come with playing the libero position.

“A lot of times I’ll say positive things in my head like ‘You’re a great passer’ and ‘You got this,'” Mass said. “I’m also trying not to be so negative if something bad does happen.”

Mass and the 2010 Cyclones (13-4, 6-3 in Big 12) have had plenty of opportunities to be negative this season about bad things that have happened.

The Cyclones lost their home court for the season due to the flooding of Hilton Coliseum, they lost their starting outside hitter to a season-ending injury in junior Rachel Hockaday and 12 days ago they lost their first match to an unranked opponent since 2008 when they fell to Kansas 3-1 in Lawrence, Kan.

However, it has been because Mass has continued as a mainstay in the ISU starting lineup that she has helped bring the No. 12 Cyclones out of adversity and into the national spotlight. All the while, she’s become one of the most successful volleyball players in ISU and Big 12 history.

Her mental focus and consistency came to a head last Saturday when the 5-foot-8-inch senior broke the Big 12 Conference record for digs in a career. She finished the night at 2,041 career digs following a 21-dig performance in the Cyclones’ 3-1 victory over Texas A&M.

“It’s actually a very awesome accomplishment,” Mass said. “Coming in my freshman year it’s something that I didn’t expect to do, so it’s definitely a great accomplishment for me.”

Mass moved past previous-record holder 2007 Kansas State graduate Angie Lastra, who finished her collegiate career with 2,032 career digs.

“Her recognition has been well deserved over the past couple years, and to see her become the Big 12 leader in digs is really exciting,” said coach Christy Johnson-Lynch. “She certainly deserves it; she’s worked really hard and she’s a tremendous player, one of the best players I’ve ever coached.”

During the last four years, Mass has solidified herself in the backcourt of the ISU starting lineup. Mass has played in every match since she first put on an ISU jersey and has started in all but 7 of her 118 collegiate matches.

“I’ve gone through these four years having injuries and playing through injuries and sicknesses, so I think it’s a great accomplishment being able to continue to keep playing,” Mass said.

Not only has Mass played in every match, she has also played well in nearly every match, digging at least 10 balls in 107 of her 118 matches and more than 20 in 37 of her matches — both are ISU records.

“I would definitely say she’s the most consistent player that I’ve ever played with,” said junior defensive specialist Caitlin Mahoney. “I would never say that she has a bad game, I don’t think I’ve ever said or thought that about her.”

Mahoney said she and Mass have a “different bond” because they play similar positions as defensive specialist and libero. Fans may see a quiet, timid persona from Mass in matches, but Mahoney credits that to an inner-competitive nature.

“She’s very competitive, but she’s more of a quiet competitive,” Mahoney said. “I would say she’s more competitive with herself.”

Being competitive with oneself is understandable for a four-year starter that hasn’t had much of a challenge for her starting position. However, with Mass departing at the end of the season, Mahoney and freshman defensive specialist Kristen Hahn have made the best of their opportunity to learn under the school’s and conference’s all-time leader in digs as they prepare for next season.

Even as a recruit out of Cedar Rapids, Hahn recognized the opportunity to learn from Mass for her freshman season when deciding on her college destination.

“At first her consistency was a little intimidating because she’s always making perfect passes and good plays, but it’s inspiring to me, and it helps me a lot,” Hahn said.

At 5-foot-6, Hahn is both physically smaller than Mass and Mahoney and also differs when it comes the way they react on the court. Hahn describes herself as loud and outgoing on the court which contrasts with Mass’ quiet and focused composure.

“It shows me that you can be really good and keep it to yourself and be proud while playing well without having to showboat,” Hahn said. “She’s good, and she’s humble about it.”

Mahoney has seen Mass be there consistently for her teammates on and off the court.

“I’d say she’s a very consistent friend; no matter what, she’ll always be there for you, and if you ever need someone to talk, she’s always there to listen — a very consistent friend,” Mahoney said.

Setting the school and conference records for digs have been milestone achievements in Mass’s career. Looking forward, the NCAA record of 3,176 career digs by Chattanooga’s Lara Newberry appears to be out of reach.

But Mass has her eyes set on a different national achievement: becoming a three-time AVCA All-American, another accomplishment no ISU player has achieved.

“Mass seems to never be affected by anything, she’s just so consistent, she can push through just about anything,” Johnson-Lynch said. “I think she’s playing the best ball of her career, and I think she’ll have a chance to finish off and play the best she’s ever played.”

Mass and the Cyclones will get another shot at Kansas when they host the Jayhawks at 6:30 p.m. Saturday at Ames High School.