Cyclone volleyball swept by No. 2 Huskers

File photo: Manfred Brugger

Outside hitter Victoria Henson digs the ball during a match against the Jayhawks on Saturday, Oct. 23, at Ames High School.

Jake Calhoun

The ISU volleyball team snapped its six-match win streak with a three-set loss to No. 2 Nebraska (19-25, 16-25, 16-25) on Saturday night at Nebraska Coliseum in Lincoln, Neb.

No. 12 Iowa State (16-5, 9-4 Big 12) experienced its fourth straight loss to Nebraska (20-2, 12-1) after defeating the Huskers last season in Lincoln, Neb., for the first time in the program’s history in a five-set thriller on Oct. 21, 2009.

Victoria Henson’s team-high 11 kills leapfrogged her into second place all-time in ISU history for career kills with 1,569. The senior outside hitter now sits behind Kristin Hugdahl’s all-time record of 1,620 career kills, which was set in 1995. She surpassed Steph McCannon’s mark of 1,566 career kills, which was also set in 1995.

Henson’s 10 digs also resulted in her ninth double-double on the season and the 26th of her career.

NU right-side hitter Lindsey Licht led all hitters in the match with 12 kills, which contributed to her match-high 14.5 points with the other 2.5 points stemming from five assisted blocks.

Sophomore Alison Landwehr had a season-low 23 assists to lead the team, a reflection of the Cyclones’ ineffective passing throughout the match.

Apart from the Cyclones’ frustrated passing component, they also experienced a barrage of trickery from the Huskers’ multiple-hitter 6-2 formation, which increased the difficulty of assigning blockers to certain opponents and providing answers for the Huskers’ offensive arsenal.

The Huskers outhit the Cyclones for the second straight contest between the two this season, averaging a .256 hitting percentage. The Cyclones, who registered only 10 more kills than attack errors, hit for a dismal .089 hitting percentage, their worst of the season.

Jamie Straube hit at a .250 clip, leading the ISU starters, registering five kills on 16 attempts with only one attack error.

The Cyclones were outdug for only the third time this season, compiling 50 digs to the Huskers’ 59 digs.

Senior Carly Jenson led the Cyclones with 11 digs, while Henson and libero Ashley Mass added 10 digs to the team’s total. True freshman Kristen Hahn also added seven digs in her eighth match of action this season.

The only two other times the Cyclones had been outdug this season was the Sept. 18 match at Missouri and the Oct. 9 loss at Kansas.

True freshman Tenisha Matlock started the third straight match of her career for the Cyclones in place of junior right-side hitter Kelsey Petersen. In two sets, Matlock registered two kills, one dig and one assisted block for the cardinal and gold.

The Cyclones return for the final match at Ames High School on Wednesday as Baylor comes to town. The match is set to begin at 7 p.m.