Cyclones’ first loss of soccer season is a result of slow start

Cory Weaver

Iowa State’s last meeting with Loyola-Chicago was a 1-0 win, but the score didn’t go in the Cyclones’ favor this time as they lost 2-0 for their first loss of the season.

The first 35 minutes of the game were slow for both teams, with Iowa State outshooting Loyola-Chicago 5-3. The first half had only one shot on goal coming from the foot of ISU senior midfielder Jordan Bishop 20 minutes into the game.

Then the game took a turn for the worst for Iowa State, as the Ramblers put together a shooting frenzy spanning from the 36th minute to the 44th, in which they put together a string of six shots, all on goal, and a corner kick.

ISU freshman keeper Maddie Jobe was able to keep the Ramblers’ shots out of the net until Loyola-Chicago freshman forward Alex Brown scored on a header off a double pass from senior midfielder Nikki Staton and senior defender Alex Roufus.

The late goal forced Iowa State to head into halftime down 1-0, a situation the team had not faced this season. Iowa State also trailed Loyola-Chicago in shots 9-5 but led the corner kick category 4-2.

Loyola-Chicago came out of halftime on the same surge it ended the first half on, with sophomore midfielder Kristin Papierski scoring an unassisted goal to the far right post from 20 yards out to put Loyola-Chicago up 2-0 at the 46th minute.

After the early goal, the Cyclones’ defense settled down, only allowing five shots in the second half, two of which were on goal.

ISU freshman Emily Goldstein led the Cyclones with five shots on the game, two on goal.

The second half surge for the Cyclones came a little too late, however, as their 10 shots and three shots on goal weren’t able to find the net before the final whistle. The ISU loss evened the all-time head-to-head with Loyola-Chicago at 1-1.

The Cyclones will finish their weeklong streak of away games with a 1 p.m. game against Illinois State on Sunday.