Cardinal Court Scholarship gives seniors chance to be part of Homecoming tradition

Frances Myers

ISU students will have a chance to make this year’s Homecoming a memorable one by applying for the $500 Cardinal Court Scholarship.

Krystal Castaneda, 2010 Homecoming Central Cardinal Court chairwoman, said undergraduate students at Iowa State with at least 90 credits or more and a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher are eligible to apply.

The scholarship will be judged on academic achievement, character, dedication to Iowa State as well as the city of Ames, along with two short essay questions.

“Homecoming has sponsored a student scholarship for at least 10 years through various methods,” said Kurt Beyer, Student Alumni Leadership Council adviser. “When the Cardinal Court and Homecoming king and queen tradition was revived again in 2006, the existing Homecoming scholarship was added to Cardinal Court in order to recognize the winners’ scholastic and leadership achievements.”

Applications are due 4 p.m. Monday, Oct. 4. Three copies of the completed application can be turned into Cecilia Dunlay on the first floor of the ISU Alumni Center.

From 5 to 8:30 p.m. Oct. 12, 10 finalists will be selected, consisting of five males and five females. These 10 will meet with this year’s judges, Luke Roling, Government of the Student Body president; Julie Larson, Alumni Association director of outreach and events; and Thomas Hill, vice president of Student Affairs.

The winning Homecoming king and queen will be announced Oct. 23 on the Student Alumni Leadership Council website. The two winners will be presented with sashes at the Battle of the Bands on Oct. 28.

The king and queen, as well as the rest of the Cardinal Court, will be announced at the pep rally on Oct. 29 and before the kickoff of the Homecoming game Oct. 30.

“Applying for this scholarship is also a chance to become part of a Homecoming tradition. [Homecoming] gives Iowa State a chance to celebrate our university with current students and alumni,” Castaneda said. “Thanks to the Alumni Association auction at the Homecoming game, we are able to give out this scholarship. The money that goes to the winners for Cardinal Court is directly from Iowa State alumni.

“It’s to reward outstanding students and to encourage the excellence we have here at ISU.”