Intellectual Freedom issues brought to light on college campuses

Frances Myers

Students and Ames residents gathered Thursday to listen to Barbara M. Jones speak on such issues as the importance of intellectual freedom, academic freedom and the rights listed under the First Amendment — particularly freedom of expression.

Jones started her speech by mentioning how, as a librarian, she was especially honored to be able to speak on constitutional rights.

“Librarians are the most passionate supporters of constitutional rights,” Jones said.

She emphasized the importance of these rights on college campuses, especially in today’s day and age when as a nation academic freedom means not only “allowing freedom of expression — it also means embracing it,” Jones said.

Jones said students should take a look at their student handbooks and see if there is a section on freedom of expression.

She also said, “First Amendment rights are important in most colleges and universities, private or public, because, most top faculty, students and staff don’t want to work in a place that restricts academic freedom.”

Working there would not be beneficial because people would have to be very cautious of every action they take.

Jones said one target of controversy for academic freedom is freshman reading lists.

At the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, a book, “Approaching the Quran,” was protested in 2002. Being so close to 9/11, parents were still very emotional about Islamic relations and they claimed the book was too favorable to Islam.

Jones said a trend she as well as her office has been watching very carefully is a “phenomenon known as ‘helicopter parents.'”

More and more on college campuses parents are coming and asking faculty what their students are reading and “getting way too involved in protecting their children from growing up,” Jones said.

Today it is more difficult than ever for colleges to practice academic and intellectual freedom. Campuses are more risk averse now. This is especially true because of the economic downturn. Colleges depend more for major financial relief on their alumni, as well as other donors.

After 9/11 many laws were passed that have affected campus computer systems and other operations, Jones said.

Many campus websites are scoured because the colleges and universities do not want any negative media coverage especially when it could affect their student recruitment. They want to limit any factors and avoid any controversies that could keep students from wanting to attend that college for their education.

Jones addressed Banned Book Week — which ends Friday — and listed books that have been banned in the past.

She said the No. 1 banned book in the United States is a book by Lauren Myracle, “ttyl.” This book was banned because it was written in text message form and because it has sex in it.

The No. 2 banned book is a 2005 children’s book, “And Tango Makes Three,” by Peter Parnell and Justin Richardson. This book, about two male penguins raising a baby penguin abandoned by its mother, was banned for supposed homosexuality.

Jones said she believes parents who ban books for such reasons as homosexuality references are “focusing their anger on changes in society” by doing what they can to ban these books.

Jones closed her speech by saying these issues were not going to solved in one night. She asked students and other attendees to ponder them and address how they were going to address them. She said she would like to see students more engaged in these types of issues.