Blasphemy Rights Day leaves its mark at Iowa State

Mark Chivvis, senior in insect science, writes the quote “faith does not give you the answer, it just stops you from asking the questions” in honor of Blasphemy Day, Thursday Sept. 30 outside the library.

Rebecca Bindert

ISU students celebrated the second annual international Blasphemy Rights Day by busting out the chalk and writing feelings they have on any religion.

From bible verses to “God = poop,” students freely expressed thought.

“The message of Blasphemy Day is that no one has a legal right not to be offended, nor may they use ‘offense’ as a justification for censorship,” said Kristoffer Scott, junior in electric engineering and president of the Atheist and Agnostic Society. “This event is not intended to be used as an opportunity to write hate speech. Since we are letting anyone write on the sidewalk, we don’t put our endorsement on anything written.”

“One of the goals of the event is to force students who are offended by our chalk to examine their attitudes toward free speech,” said Michael Dippold, UNI student and member of UNI Freethinkers and Inquirers. “Hopefully they will decide that they can still disagree with what we write while supporting our freedom to write it. Similarly, we would hope that secular students recognize the right of religious people to exercise that same freedom, even if we disagree with their message. That is what the day is all about.”