Guest Column: Questioning student loyalty

Tyler Gustafson

Walking around campus last week, I saw countless ISU students wearing Hawkeye clothing, many more than in years past. Maybe it changed since the last time I checked, but aren’t the Hawkeyes the Cyclones’ archrivals? I mean the Joker wouldn’t wear a Batman shirt, would he? Do some students have a split personality?

Maybe they are all freshmen that just don’t get it. I began to ponder these students’ choices and was debating if they can be considered true “Iowa Staters.”

I know a few students who are Hawkeye and Nebraska fans, so I asked them, “Why not Iowa State?” The overwhelming response was that they grew up as a fan of that university or their parents went there.

I then argued that if their parents are Hawkeye fans because they went to Iowa, then why aren’t you a Cyclone fan because you’re attending Iowa State? That seems pretty simple, and why not blaze your own trail separating yourself from your parents? Isn’t that what college is partly about?

The next question I asked was if they could name any other Iowa coach or player not on the football team. Hardly any could. To me, that is the definition of a bandwagon fan, and if you can’t answer that question, the “I grew up as an Iowa fan” argument isn’t valid.

Some people might contend the athletics and academics of a school are totally separate. I have a hard time believing that if Iowa State would have been relegated to a lower tier conference this summer like it seemed they would, that our enrollment would continue to climb. We would lose research funding due to the fact we would no longer be able to collaborate with other high-profile research universities, and apply for federal funding with them as well. Iowa State would also have a harder time recruiting talented professors to come teach here. Would you want that to happen to Iowa State?

Whether we like it or not, athletics — especially football — plays a huge role in academics and in student life. Maybe wearing an Iowa shirt has no impact whatsoever, but to me, it’s a matter of principle.

I’m not advocating people to choose their university based on athletics. Iowa State has renowned engineering and agriculture programs, and Iowa is known for its law and medical schools. Go ahead and cheer for other teams when they aren’t playing the Cyclones; I have no problem with that.

I don’t understand why you would ever cheer against them, though; and frankly, I find it a little disrespectful. It’s the school you’re paying money to attend and that is giving you an education that will hopefully lead to you receiving a diploma; the city you permanently reside in; the community you’re connected to; and the place you’ll come back to for reunions. By attending Iowa State and being a true fan that supports the Cyclones above all other teams, I believe your bond could be 10 times greater than being an ISU student who cheers for Iowa.

So I challenge you, Hawk-clothed ISU students: next Cy-Hawk football week, store your ugly-colored Hawkeye garb in the closet and don the cardinal and gold. Trust me, win or lose, it feels good.