WelcomeFest woos incoming students

Jennifer Ahrens, sophomore in biology, wins a koozie from the BioLife Plasma Services booth during Welcome Fest on Wednesday, Aug. 25 at the Great Hall, Memorial Union.

Taysha Murtaugh

“Do we have to show our IDs to get on this one?” said five freshman girls as they boarded the Orange 23 bus in front of Maple-Willow-Larch.

They were headed to WelcomeFest, an annual event held by the Student Activities Center in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union from 5:30 to 9 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 25.

“I’m excited for the free stuff,” one girl said as she sat down.

Similar to ClubFest, WelcomeFest gives students an opportunity to experience Ames’ local businesses, community organizations and ISU departments — and yes, the vendors often give out a lot of freebies.

“Are we getting close to where we need to be?” another girl said anxiously as the bus stopped in front of Lagomarcino Hall. The CyRide driver grumbled that there were two more stops before the Memorial Union.

Bustling out of the bus and in through the main entrance, the girls walked right over the “Zodiac,” one by one.

“Oh, s—, I just walked over the ‘Zodiac,'” the last girl said. “If you walk over it, you fail your next test.”

The Great Hall was absolute pandemonium. Somewhere between 3,500 and 4,000 students attended WelcomeFest, and the line stretched past the main desk and around the corner. Soon enough, the students were in and feasting on the free food and information provided by the 98 vendors inside.

“They’re giving out free condoms!” one freshman boy said excitedly about Thielen Student Health Center’s booth.

Students ran every which way, eager to fill their plastic ISU bags full of free T-shirts, coupons and posters. Churches, salons, restaurants, tattoo parlors and bookstores vied for the students’ attention.

Papa John’s gave away 300 slices of pizza within the first half hour. Old Chicago’s pepperoni rolls went equally fast.

At Qdoba Mexican Grill’s booth, students could spin a wheel for chips and queso, among other prizes. Coldstone Creamery found that their cake batter ice cream was a crowd favorite.

The Entrepreneur Club provided a photo booth with free prints, and Leedz Salon clipped festive Cyclone-colored hair extensions into girls’ hair.

“It’s awesome,” said Kait Mueller, sophomore in child, adult and family services. “There’s free s— everywhere.”

ISU Dining’s booth featured apples grown locally by Deal’s Orchard. At the Iowa State Daily booth, students who won at bean bag tossing received free “Just Sayin'” shirts.

“There were a lot of cool things,” said Wesley Hutter, freshman in mechanical engineering. “I liked Old Chicago’s pizza rolls. I like the spinning wheels, because you’re guaranteed to win something.”

As a group of freshman exited the Memorial Union, arms weighed down with merchandise, they each walked mindfully around the “Zodiac” and out the front doors. Slowly but surely, they are becoming part of the ISU and Ames community.