Counseling relieves student stress

Julia Ferrell

Everyone knows college can be stressful at times. Between classes and adjusting to a new level of independence, students can get too much on their plate. But Iowa State Student Counseling is here to help.

The service is made up of a professional staff, including 10 doctorate level psychologists, 3 master’s level therapists, 3 psychology interns, 3 graduate assistants, and 8 practicum students.

The on-campus location offers services to individuals, groups and couples and helps students with a range of struggles including relationship or motivational problems, eating disorders and how to manage personal stress.

Individuals can seek help for stress, loneliness, depression, cultural differences, sexual assault recovery, trauma and childhood abuse, conflicts over sexuality and many other concerns.

Couples can be seen for relationship difficulties or premarital counseling. At least one member of the couple must be currently enrolled as an ISU student. If a couple has issues scheduling a session during student counseling hours, they may be referred to the Couple and Family Clinic on campus, which requires a $10 fee per visit for students.

Group sessions are scheduled in the afternoon most weekdays. Sessions range from topics on eating disorders and body image to personal empowerment and trauma recovery groups.

Clients typically meet for five to eight sessions, but some individuals require a longer period of time. Individual sessions with counselors are free of charge, and only a small fee may be charged for psychological testing.

When students first schedule an appointment, they will be asked to show their student ID and whether they are currently enrolled at Iowa State.

If appointments are missed, a $15 fee will be charged to the individual student.

Students are welcome to stop in to the office, located on the third floor of the Student Services building north of Friley Hall, or can simply call 515-294-5056. If the office is closed, further assistance is available at the Richmond Center by calling 515-232-5811.