College of Business consolidates, changes name

Abigail Barefoot

The Department of Logistics, Operations and Management Information Systems in the ISU College of Business at has changed its name. It is now known as the Department of Supply Chain and Information Systems.

Along with the name change, the department is combining its two undergraduate supply chain management majors — logistics and supply chain management and operations and supply chain management — into one supply chain management major.

The departmental name change was done to better align the department name with its undergraduate and graduate program offerings.

Qing Hu, department chairman and professor, said these moves are recognition of a changing global economy.

“Rapid advances in information technology have significantly altered business models and practices,” Hu said in a news release. “More integrated supply chain systems have emerged that require skills and knowledge from logistics, operations and information systems to effectively develop, operate and manage.”

Part of the name change and combining the majors was done because more employers are seeking to hire students with supply chain management majors.

The Department of Supply Chain and Information Systems was started with only five faculty members in 1980 as the Transportation and Logistics Area in what was then known as the School of Business Administration.

Today, the department has 22 full-time faculty and offers undergraduate, graduate and doctoral degrees in supply chain management and management information systems, with more than 200 undergraduate students enrolled in each of the two majors.

“These changes support our overall strategic goal of becoming one of the top supply chain management programs in the country,” Hu said.