Mexican food moves in

Micaela Cashman

Three new Mexican restaurants have hit Campustown this summer.

Angie’s Cantina, 2416 Lincoln Way, has replaced Angie’s Kitchen, though the new owners did save some of the old restaurant’s charm.

Peter Muljadi and his father, Iwan, took over the restaurant in February 2010. Peter, who grew up in Ames, saw potential in the business.

“The breakfast was great,” Peter said, “but there was a huge chunk of time when nothing was being served.”

While they kept the breakfast menu, the Muljadis introduced a new lunch and dinner menu featuring Spanish food when they reopened.

“It’s mostly Mexican food, with some Spanish food and kind of a fusion of Latin and Spanish dishes,” Peter said.

“Our tacos are just like you’ll find in Mexico,” he said. “We don’t use cheese, we just used seasoned beef.”

Another signature item from Angie’s Cantina is the sangria, a red wine punch.

“We’re the only place in town I know of doing sangrias,” Peter said. “They are virtually hangover-proof.”

Peter said the beers, wines and other drinks his restaurant now offers add to the relaxed atmosphere he and his father created.

“Good food, good wine, good music” is the slogan Peter is working for.

Despite all the changes, Peter and Iwan have more plans in the works as they look to remodel further.

“We want to be something different,” Peter said.

Fighting Burrito has also found a new home in Campustown.

The popular restaurant, currently located at 2712 Lincoln Way, will move to 117 Welch Ave., next door to Cy’s Roost.

The building most recently hosted Mochi smoothie and ice cream shop, it also held a Dairy Queen.

The new location will open in late summer, said owner Matthew Goodman.

He said he is moving the restaurant for three main reasons: gaining more business, meeting more students and providing a more comfortable atmosphere.

Currently, Fighting Burrito is the furthest eatery from Campustown that competes in the late-night food market.

“The closer we are to the district,” Goodman said, “the more business we’ll have. We do very well late-night, and the new location will support that.”

Open until 4 a.m. Fridays and Saturdays, Fighting Burrito has the latest hours in Campustown. Goodman hopes this will help the restaurant pull in more customers at its new location.

Goodman said his restaurant gets the most business in the early hours of the morning, but he hopes moving to Welch Avenue will gain more business during the daytime.

“Right now, there’s a certain kind of customer that comes in,” Goodman said.

Those customers are mostly college-aged students, and they often live off campus. Students living on campus sometimes don’t venture out to where Fighting Burrito is currently, Goodman said. By moving to Welch Avenue, the restaurant will be closer to where new students explore first.

He wants to make the new space a comfortable environment for all age groups, including professors.

“We want to provide a nice environment and good food,” he said.

While the Welch Avenue building is not bigger, Goodman said he has invested more into using the space wisely in order to create that nice environment.

The site may be changing, but Fighting Burrito will remain the same restaurant with the same food and people that has made it popular. It prides itself on fresh products and satisfying meals.

“It’s still going to be us,” Goodman said. “We’ll compete with the other restaurants the same way we always have: We provide a unique product.”

Goodman said the restaurant was a success even when it first opened six years ago, but he is excited to leave the old site behind.

“It’s just like moving into a new house or apartment,” he said. “You get rid of all the old stuff that drove you crazy before. Of course, I’m sure there will be things that drive me crazy about the new location, too, but it’s very exciting to acquire a new place.”

Just across the street, at 118 Welch Ave., yet another Mexican restaurant is moving in.

El Patron, an authentic Mexican restaurant, will move to the location, which previously hosted Es Tas, sometime this summer.