Cardinal, gold meaning laid out

Paige Godden

Walking around campus you will probably wonder, “What’s with all the cardinal and gold?”

The simple answer to that question. These are Iowa State’s colors.

Jeff Johnson, ISU Alumni Association president, said these colors should have many important meanings to students.

“Our school colors become our common look and connection,” Johnson said. “Even if we do not see the school name, logo or mascot, our colors, or the joining of the colors for any reason, even if not Iowa State related – our colors always bring us pride.”

“They make us think of a time, a place and/or an event connected to our ISU experience – good or bad. The colors are neutral of race, gender, degree, geography, socio-economic class, etc.,” Johnson said.

The colors haven’t always been cardinal and gold.

The original colors – silver, gold and black – were decided in 1891.

“The college colors are thought by all to be a wise choice, and the committee deserves our praise,” according to an 1891 issue of Iowa Agricultural College Student, a former name of the Iowa State Daily.

“The first, silver, denotes the mechanical department on which is engraved in violet colors the letters IAC. Next, gold, which signifies the golden harvest which is claimed by the generals. Last, black, denotes death, assigned to the veterinary department who kill but never cure.”

Then the colors changed for the first time in 1899.

“The matter of colors has proven a stumbling block, and this is not to be wondered at. As we have stated before, the silver, gold and black are approaching their last days. They are pretty, but absolutely impossible to use in any way that would uniform our athletes … so the colors adopted for a college athletic team determine what shall be the colors of the college. It follows then, that we should be very careful in this matter … we should be conservative and careful in this matter. What the council does now will probably hold for all time, and they must not blunder this time,” according to the Alumni Association website.

The university finally settled on cardinal and gold Oct. 10, 1899, and Iowa State had the signature color ensemble that greets students today.

“At Thursday’s council meeting, the special committee appointed to investigate and report on suitable colors for the sweaters reported in favor of a cardinal sweater with a gold letter … this is a commendable improvement and makes a distinctive and striking set of colors. From the prominence of cardinal and gold at the Nebraska game, it is evident that common consent will very soon adopt these as the college colors,” according to the Alumni Association’s website.

“To us, [these colors] are simply … Iowa State, home of the Cyclones,” Johnson said.