Primaries: Bob Vander Plaats

Micaela Cashman

Budget cuts: Vander Plaats plans to eliminate corporate income tax, hold the line on public-sector spending, and revisit the proposed spending reductions of $290 million. He added the importance of supporting already existing Iowa companies.

“Any business owner will tell you that you make more sales to repeat customers than new ones,” Vander Plaats said. “The same is true, at least in the short run, with economic development and jobs creation. Existing businesses are going to generate more jobs for us than new ones so we need to do more to help existing businesses and revitalize our local main streets.”

Jobs and economic development: Vander Plaats said the future of Iowa’s economy depends on “the world knowing we’re open for business.” He researched economies around the world and came up with a plan that includes the best features from those economies.

Vander Plaats also plans to encourage more military veterans to “pursue entrepreneurial careers in Iowa,” as well as persuade former Iowans who have had successful careers in other states to bring their success back to Iowa.

“The entire business world is evolving. If we’re not aggressively going forward we’re actually falling farther behind. Iowa is missing opportunities every day under Chet Culver; we won’t miss them when I’m governor,” Vander Plaats said.

Immigration: Vander Plaats welcomes legal immigrants to the state of Iowa. “It’s been said that a nation of immigrants is a nation of entrepreneurs. I know it will be outside the comfort zone of some Iowans, but we must encourage legal immigration to use state resources to attract new ideas, new energy and real growth.”

While he is supportive of legal immigrants, Vander Plaats plans to put into effect laws based on Arizona’s recent controversial legislation, making it a state crime to be in the country illegally. This law will require state and local policemen to enforce federal laws.

Education: Simplifying funding and eliminating “senseless mandates” from schools are what Vander Plaats said needs to be done to better Iowa’s education system. He has a five-point plan for education leadership: creating real charter schools, setting high student performance standards, returning local control to schools, expanding school choice and choosing leaders committed to a new vision.

“My goal has always been to increase student performance and further professionalize the teaching profession,” Vander Plaats said. “I want to reignite the teachers’ passion for teaching so our students achieve the highest expectations, preparing them to be bold leaders of our future. I want to lead us to an environment where research and design and the sharing of best practices take place. Our students’ futures depend on it and, frankly, the future of our state depends on it too.”