Catch sporting events at Hilton, Jack Trice

David Merrill

For the most popular ISU sports, the two venues to be familiar with are Hilton Coliseum and and Jack Trice Stadium.

James H. Hilton Coliseum has also become host to the Cyclone gymnastics, volleyball and wrestling teams during its 35-year history.

Hilton Coliseum has become one of the most energizing places to see a college basketball game, and the atmosphere has even been given its own special title: Hilton Magic.

The title came into play when the Cyclones upset then No. 3 Missouri in the 1989 season and a newspaper headline the next day read, “Hilton Magic Spells ‘Upset’ One More Time.”

The coliseum sits north of Jack Trice Stadium near Lincoln Way. The major entrances are located on walkways elevated to minimize pollution between humans and vehicles.

The student section for the basketball games is called Cyclone Alley, and is located behind each basket and up into the first two sections from the floor. The Cyclone Alley Committee hands out free promotional items at some home games. Entrances are located on each side of the arena. Student tickets are available through www.cyclones.com.

Jack Trice Stadium is located south of Hilton Coliseum and sits on a 30-acre plot. The 56,975-seatable Jack Trice was Iowa State’s first black varsity athlete and was killed during a game versus the University of Minnesota. The student entrances are at the end zone ends of the stadium. Student ticket holders are required to sit in the student section. Ticket packages are available through www.cyclones.com.

Another popular feature of the football game atmosphere is the tailgating tents. While most students set up their own tailgating supplies on the beds of trucks or other various parts of their cars, there are tents available for rent that are already set up. The tents are designed for corporate outings, fraternity or sorority events or other social gatherings.

There are two types of tents: standard and auxiliary. The standard tents are available in only 20-by-30-foot sizes, and the auxiliary tents are available in varying sizes. Both can be set up at various locations around the stadium.