Student job board offers employment

Shane Lucas

As most students are starting their college experience, the last thing on their minds is finding a part-time job.

While it doesn’t sound like a glamorous way to spend your free time, a part-time job can be a valuable tool in adjusting to new surroundings. Besides putting extra money in your pocket, holding a part-time job can help build your resume.

One of the best resource for finding a job at Iowa State is the student job board located in the “student” tab of AccessPlus. The student job board allows employers from ISU campus, Ames and surrounding areas to post job openings.

The board is broken up into 21 different categories that apply to just about every major or interest students may have. The jobs can also be sorted by area, location, how far from Ames they are, category, how recently they were posted, summer jobs or temporary work.

When it comes to scheduling, campus jobs are much more flexible than jobs off-campus. Campus jobs usually have enough students employed to allow you to create a schedule around your classes.

Most campus jobs pay employees with a system called direct deposit, which allows the employer to transfer paychecks right into the student’s bank account. Many students have found this to be a preferred form of payment as it eliminates the process of going to the bank to cash or deposit checks.

Aside from direct deposit, some jobs qualify for college work-study. Students that take advantage of college work-study can use their part-time job to help pay for tuition or other school-related expenses. However, work-study isn’t available for everyone. Students interested in work-study positions must fill out the FAFSA form to determine their eligibility.

For more information, contact the Student Employment Center in Beardshear Hall at 515-294-5627 or [email protected].