Alumni Association helps out in many different ways

Cory Weaver

Iowa State is home to many student organizations. One that is especially popular among students is the Student Alumni Association.

The SAA was established in 1996 with 754 members and has continued to grow. Last year’s membership was 5,500.

“The discounts are the main reason people join,” said Shellie Anderson, director of student programs and alumni travel for SAA. “It is a huge benefit for being a member.”

There are more than 100 discounts for SAA members, provided by places such as Jeff’s Pizza, the ISU Bookstore and Hy-Vee.

The cost of a one-year membership to the SAA is $30, which includes a membership to Cyclone Alley.

Members also have the option to become a member of Cyclone Alley, members of which receive a Cyclone Alley T-shirt, as well as props for attending the conference games.

Popular props include giant sunglasses, Cyclone Alley head and armbands and the Cyclone Alley Gold Rules T-shirt.

If you have seen an ISU basketball game before, you have probably seen the students in all-red shirts behind the baskets.

With a membership to the SAA, one of them could be you.

If you want to get a jump-start on looking for an internship or networking with other people in your desired field, SAA has something for you, as well.

“The Alumni Association currently includes 240,000 living, addressable graduates,” said Alumni Association President Jeff Johnson. “Those graduates span all 50 states, as well as 140 countries,” Johnson said.

Members can use Cy Space, an online alumni association community, to browse available jobs in the job posting area, which SAA has been working on for the past five months. Cy Space also has the contact information for the vast majority of the alumni.

SAA is home to a variety of scholarships for members as well as exclusive member-only events.

If you wish to get involved with SAA ,or become a member, you can visit the Student Alumni Association website at www.isusaa.org, or visit the new Alumni Center on Beach Avenue.

“While you are not a student for life, you are an alumni forever,” said Johnson.