Avoid poor decisions involving alcohol

John Lonsdale

As a freshman, it’s important to experience all the things you can in the short amount of time you’re here. With many freshmen free of their parents reign, they engage in underage drinking and excessive partying. While it’s important to let loose and have a good time while at school, it’s also important to not be naive about the things that come with the drinking culture.

If a freshman decides to participate in drinking, make sure not to be belligerent on the street. Police officers will stop you and consequences will follow.

Due to the lack of control over freshmen, they often make mistakes on their own and learn from them.

Take notes from your mistakes and make sure to be safe if you do decide to party. Although it’s important to meet new people and be social, make sure to surround yourself with people you can trust.

Don’t be the freshman who brags about how much he or she can drink. Excessive drinking is never cool or attractive, and can lead to dangerous consequences from both a health and safety standpoint.

Because many freshmen will be living in the dorms, it’s very important to understand the consequences of drinking in the dorms. Iowa State and the Board of Regents prohibit any alcoholic substances on campus or at any campus events, according to the Department of Public Safety. Many residence halls forbid alcohol in the rooms or any drinking in the rooms.

Jerry Stewart, director of Public Safety at Iowa State, said it’s important for new students to know, without question, alcohol offenses represent the highest percentage of arrest for the department and it’s historically been the case.

Stewart said the possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages on campus is permitted by policy as long as that is in accordance with the state law. However, the consumption of alcoholic beverages on the campus other than residence halls is generally permitted only where approved by the vice president for Business and finance. It’s permitted in university housing areas in accordance with the Department of Residence policies and for only those people of legal drinking age.

For 2009, the department issued 164 OWI offenses, 305 public intoxication offenses and 429 underage possession and other miscellaneous alcohol offenses. He also said that it’s highly important for new students to be aware that state statutes and laws also apply to the university policies.

“Being intoxicated or simulation intoxication in a public place is an offense,” Stewart said. “There will also be students arriving here where public intoxication at home isn’t a criminal offense.”

“In Iowa, it’s a criminal offense. Because Iowa State is a state-owned property, our officers are primarily responsible for enforcing state laws or state statutes. Even city ordinances can also apply on areas contiguous to campus such as sidewalks, streets, and anywhere in Campustown,” Stewart said.

If caught drinking or with alcohol in the dorm room, freshmen can be kicked out of their residence hall and must find a new place to live. In some instances, police officials will be called to the residence halls to handle the situation. Make sure to check with your resident hall adviser on the restrictions and rules of alcohol in your hall.

Overall, be safe, be careful, party hard and use your brain.