Ames Chamber of Commerce hosts booth at orientation fair

Micaela Cashman

The Ames Chamber of Commerce will host a booth throughout June at the ISU Orientation Resource Fair.

Representing various businesses belonging to the chamber, the booth will welcome more than 4,500 new students to town.

“As we like to say, ‘Shop Ames, Grow Ames,’” said Chamber of Commerce Program Manager Crystal Davis. “We truly believe everything new students and their families may need can be found right here in Ames.”

Davis said the booth — which will have information about everything from where to buy a great cup of coffee, to where to get your computer fixed, to where to go to the doctor — will have more than 250 fliers and brochures with more than 500 promotional items available.

The chamber hosts a booth every year at the resource fair, which also has booths from greek societies, student-run groups and foundations.

Businesses that hand out coupons at the fair often see those coupons utilized, Davis said. This shows that the booth positively affects not only Ames businesses, but also new students.

She said the fair gets new students excited about the school year and their new surroundings.

“The business community really strives to provide a welcome and friendly environment for the ISU students and families,” Davis said. “This is a great opportunity for our members to showcase themselves and their businesses to thousands of new residents and visitors to our community.”