Roling, Dobbels announce goals in inauguration ceremonies

Incoming Vice President of the Government of the Student Body Nate Dobbles and President Luke Rolling are sworn in during the inauguration ceremonies on Monday, April 5, 2010 in the Sunroom of the Memorial Union. Photo: Kelsey Kremer/Iowa State Daily

Kelsey Kremer

Paige Godden –

Leadership, potential, progress and the future were words repeated during the inauguration of the new Government of the Student Body senate and executive board.

Luke Roling and Nate Dobbels were sworn in by GSB Supreme Court Chief Justice Brian Phillips as the new president and vice president, along with the rest of the senate.

Dobbels said the rest of the executive board has been chosen, but still has to be voted on by the new senate.

Executive Vice President and Provost Elizabeth Hoffman gave the keynote address.

Hoffman stressed the importance of GSB and the contribution it gives to the university through the year.

Hoffman said GSB has been a strong partner with ISU administration and mentioned some of the things the administration and GSB collaborate with, such as lobbying efforts and the university budget advisory committee.

Hoffman said GSB needs to strive to maintain the high quality of student life on campus.

Hoffman also mentioned the hardships Iowa State has been facing.

“Iowa State has lost $150 million over the decade, and $62 million of that current dollar support was lost in the last two years alone,” Hoffman said.

Hoffman also noted some positive happenings from the last couple of years.

Hoffman said that research funding has been “going through the roof.”

Hoffman said during the first quarter alone, research funding increased by $74 million, and is up $130 million in fiscal year 2010.

Hoffman mentioned that enrollment is up as well.

Hoffman ended her speech with a look to the future by mentioning the strategic plan for 2010-15.

The plan’s vision is to “lead the world in advancing the land-grant ideals and putting science, technology and human creativity to work.”

Hoffman encouraged students to go to an open-forum taking place at noon Thursday in Pearson Hall to contribute ideas to the plan.

Speaker of the senate Michael Weber then gave out the Senator of the Year award to Brian Ryherd for his work on the finance committee and the Varsity Theater Task Force.

Paul Keppy was the Executive Member of the Year for his work as City Council liaison and chief of staff.

Former GSB President Jon Turk gave his final speech before Roling was sworn in.

Turk said he and Chandra Peterson were able to accomplish many goals during their term as executives.

Turk mentioned lobbying efforts, financial literacy and student debt, as well as helping the Margaret Sloss Women’s Center as some of the goals they were able to work on.

Turk listed some of the accomplishments of the administrations such as hosting the first City Council debate, urging funding for the new transportation hub, setting up the peer-to-peer financial education program, the mind the gap campaign, improving the GSB Web site and building relations with the Student Union Board.

“My goal was similar to those before me, to leave my executive office with GSB slightly better than when I started it,” Turk said.

Roling then started his speech by thanking Peterson and Turk for “establishing a foundation GSB can thrive on.”

Roling then mentioned his goals, which include progress, partnership and potential.

Roling said he wants to partner with college councils, the city of Ames and ISU students, and mentioned he wants to make sure GSB is using the student fee money effectively.