GSB administration speaks of successes and regrets

President of the Government of the Student Body, Jonathan Turk and Vice President, Chandra Peterson give their final address to the Government of the Student Body Wednesday, March 31, 2010 in the Campanile room of the Memorial Union. During the speech Turk and Peterson discussed their accomplishments this year and thanked the executive board for their efforts. Photo: Kelsey Kremer/Iowa State Daily

Kelsey Kremer

Paige Godden —

Government of the Student Body President Jon Turk and Vice President Chandra Peterson shared the duties of addressing the senate for the last time Wednesday night.

Turk and Peterson shared the highlights of the year, and Turk quickly reviewed his trip to Washington D.C. for the annual Big 12 Student Government Day on the Hill.

Turk started his speech with the accomplishments of this year’s administration in spreading financial education on campus.

Turk helped launch the peer-to-peer financial education program which will hopefully launch fully next year.

Peterson talked about her involvement in Campustown this year.

Peterson mentioned banners that were hung by Dr. Thomas Hill’s office at the beginning of the year, reorganizing and rewriting the bylaws of the Campustown Student Association and a mural that is going to be painted on the side of T-Galaxy.

Peterson also mentioned her plans to launch the Keep Campustown Clean Organization.

Turk spoke of the work the administration did over the summer in improving general communications.

He said this goal was reached by redeveloping the GSB Web site.

Turk said rewriting and redesigning the Web site took a good portion of the summer, and thanked the GSB Director of Information Technology James Parrott.

Peterson talked about the creation of the director of sustainability, and the creation of the Green Umbrella Organization.

Peterson said the Green Umbrella Organization worked to bring sustainability groups on campus together in order to combine efforts.

Diversity initiatives were the last goal the administration mentioned.

Turk said GSB has “done a lot of wonderful things in terms of funding” when talking about diversity initiatives.

Turk and Peterson only briefly mentioned the Varsity Theater, and said they didn’t get as far as they hoped with the Peer-to-Peer Financial Education program because a “half-a-million-dollar theater was brought up.”

The ISU Robotics club brought in the battle-bot they plan to take to Robogames in San Francisco.

The robot is run by two three-horsepower motors and can go up to 12 mph in two seconds.

The club said the robot’s biggest weakness is its armor.

Team PrISUm was allocated $7,214.73 to compete in the American Solar Challenge which will be June 20-27.

The team will be racing from Tulsa to Chicago.

The senate then moved into discussing regular allocation funds for fiscal year 2011, which were the groups that were pulled from last week’s regular allocation list.

The senate debated on giving advertising and mass e-mailing money back to the Freshmen Council after the Finance Committee cut it.

After a recess, the senate and the Finance Committee decided to return the items requested by Freshmen Council, and the senate then passed the bill.

Ethos was cut by the Finance Committee as well.

No representatives from Ethos could come to the 7 p.m. meeting, but they were not notified of the cut until 12:41 p.m. Wednesday.

Habitat for Humanity showed up to the meeting to ask for travel expenses that were cut by the Finance Committee.

The Finance Committee did not allocate the $500 to the Habitat for Humanity during its brief meeting.

The senate voted to override the Finance Committee’s decision, but that vote failed.

Senator Anthony Maly then made a motion to refer back to the Finance Committee, so the senate took a second recess in order for the Finance Committee to meet for a second time.