ADAMS: How do we insure our future?

Steve Adams

Nearly three weeks after H.R. 3590, the “Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act,” was passed by a purely partisan score of 219-212, Democrats are claiming it’s the best social legislation since sliced bread, while Republicans are countering that it’s the biggest boondoggle this side of the sun.

The truth likely lies somewhere in between the rhetoric of the two political parties — as it most often does when politicians discuss political issues — whose members are now more concentrated on November’s elections more than anything else. Lucky for us that the media, with no more health care strategy, process or conflict to focus on, have finally decided to devote some time and energy to deciphering the gargantuan text.

Their most meaningful conclusion for most Americans: Health care reform may be coming to America, but it’s not coming overnight.

That infamous tax on “Cadillac” health plans, which is an excise tax on insurers of employer-sponsored health plans that cost more than $10,200 a year for individual coverage or $27,500 for family coverage and is expected to bring in $32 billion in its first two years, won’t kick in until 2018.

Another hotly debated aspect of the bill: the individual mandate. This states that U.S. citizens must buy “minimal essential coverage” or pay a fine, and will award them subsidies to do so, but won’t take effect until 2014. This means that the more than three dozen states that plan on challenging the constitutionality of this provision, which allegedly threatens state sovereignty and according to them does not “enhance the general welfare,” will have plenty of time to attempt to create some courtroom drama.

Even health insurers and drug makers, who stand to gain many millions of new customers thanks to the legislation, have a year left before they’ll have to start paying fees to the government — an estimated total of $47 billion for the former and $16 billion for the latter between 2011 and 2019.

But as luck would have it, the small portion of the legislation that likely affects our demographic — Americans between the ages of 18 and 26 — the most is not far off. In case you haven’t heard, I’m talking about the provision of the bill that, in less than six months, will allow young adults to stay on or return to their parents’ insurance until age 26.

Love or hate the overall bill, the process by which it was made or the politicians involved in its creation, this is a major win for young people, many of whom are attempting to enter the workforce — and notably, gain the employer-provided health insurance that most full-time jobs bring — during a hard-hitting recession.

Or so I thought.

As it turns out, this aspect of the bill, which was really the only aspect of reform that appealed to my self-interest enough to keep my attention, has some caveats. For example, an individual in a position such as mine — a 24-year-old graduate student fortunate enough to receive health coverage through assistantship at Iowa State for the last two years will lose it in less than a month, and have received exactly zero requests for interviews for any of the dozens of jobs I’ve applied for in the last six months — now cannot go back to being covered by his or her parents unless he or she is still claimed as a dependent by them.

Add to these young people the many collegians who are putting themselves through college and are therefore not dependents of their parents — and I’m guessing this includes a rather large chunk of Iowa Staters — as well as those student or non-student dependents who are most likely ineligible if they attend college or live in a different state than their parents, and this much-heralded “benefit” of reform seems a lot less powerful.

Of course, lest I send too dismal of a message, it’s important to remember that while this is the first time the federal government has forced insurance companies to let young adults stay on their parents’ policies until a minimum age, more than half the country’s states already have laws that extend the age of dependent coverage, with some even setting the minimum above age 26.

But that doesn’t change the facts: While this alleged “health care fix till 26” provision may be aimed at insuring young adults in their 20s — the age group that, with a 30 percent uninsured rate in 2008, is composed of the Americans most likely to lack insurance — it was sold as something far beyond what it really is, and it’s not going to insure all young people.

Whether other aspects of the health care bill were overstated, understated or simply not contextualized, I can’t say with certainty.

But there’s one thing I can: Regardless of what the Democrats or the media told me, nothing in H.R. 3590 is going to change the fact that I will be uninsured come May.

Hopefully the same can’t be said for you, and hopefully the legislation’s slow implementation will lead to the benefits that its creators envisioned. But I, as much as I hate to admit it, am not holding my breath.

Steve Adams is a graduate student in journalism and mass communication from Annapolis, Md.