VIEWPOINTS: The classic condom “how-to”

Leah Hirsch

Ah, the condom. Arguably, this is the most widely used contraception on college campuses, and for good reason.

They’re inexpensive — or free at Thielen Student Health Center during Free Condom Wednesday and other locations around campus — and they’re effective.

That is, they’re effective when properly used and taken care of.

According to Go Ask Alice, Columbia University’s sexual health resource Web site, the majority of condom failure is caused by human error.

Many things we don’t even think about are dangerous to the life of a condom.

There are four main do’s and do not’s when it comes to proper condom use:

DO: Store your condoms in a cool — not cold — dry place away from direct sunlight, direct heat and direct air conditioning.

DON’T: Store your condoms in your wallet, purse, car, backpack, pockets or inside heating/air conditioning ducts.

Extreme heat will deteriorate the latex, which will make tearing much more likely. Extreme cold will cause the water-based lubricant — most condoms are already lubricated with a water-based lubricant — to freeze into small ice crystals, which will create small tears in the latex.

Condoms should never be stored below 32 degrees Fahrenheit or above 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

It is OK to transport condoms in a purse, backpack or wallet for a short amount of time, but do not keep them there long-term.

DO: Use a water-based lubricant with condoms if desired.

DON’T: Use oil-based lube, silicon-based lube, aloe vera, Vaseline/petroleum jelly, baby oil, olive oil, vegetable or canola oil, or any other kind of oil with a latex condom.

All these materials can and will break down the latex, which can cause the condom to break.

DO: Open the condom package carefully and attentively, with your hands, after you have removed rings or dangling bracelets.

DON’T: Tear the condom package open with your teeth, without care or while wearing potentially sharp jewelry.

This is a very easy way to tear the condom without knowing it.

DO: When applying the condom, pinch the top end before rolling it onto the penis so that the semen has somewhere to go when the man ejaculates.

Also, make sure you are rolling the condom on the correct way, and all the way to the base of the penis.

DON’T: Roll the condom on the wrong way. Don’t forget to pinch the tip before rolling the condom on. And don’t roll the condom on only part-way.

Trying to roll the condom on the wrong way will be uncomfortable, and the struggle could cause you to tear the condom.

Not pinching the tip will not only leave nowhere for the ejaculate to go, but it can also cause an air bubble to form in the condom.

This air bubble will cause less sensation for the person wearing the condom, and it can also cause the condom to break.

If the condom is not rolled on all the way, it is likely that it will slip off mid-coitus, thus defeating the purpose of the condom entirely.

These are the four main do’s and do not’s of condom use.

Make sure the condoms are stored properly, open the package carefully, use only water-based lubricant and apply the condom correctly.

More important than any of these things, however, is to use condoms consistently and conscientiously.

Condoms are only effective if they are actually being used. They are even more effective if they are being used correctly.

Leah Hirsch is a Student 2 Student Peer Educator with the Thielen Student Health Center and a HIV/AIDS Counseling, Testing and Referral Intern for Johnson County Public Health.