Proper career fair preparation

Leslie Millard —

The Career Fair comes but twice a year. With these limited opportunities, it is the student’s job to use their time wisely when at the fair.

Planning ahead is your best bet to come out of the Career Fair feeling successful. “The best way to prepare beforehand is to get an idea of the

companies [the students] would like to visit with,” said Tammy Stegman, a career coordinator for the College of Business.

With over 200 booths, it is imperative that you come into the Career Fair knowing what companies you would like to talk to and where they are located.

Stegman said students can prepare by utilizing ISU Career Management Services before going to the fair.

You should research each of the companies you plan to meet with. When you are talking to a company, you should not ask what they do – this is the information you should already know.

A company will remember you more if you express your interest and ask good questions, Stegman said.

Along with being mentally prepared, you also need to be physically prepared for the Career Fair.

Stegman suggests bringing “notes on the companies that

you are visiting, a pad folio with resumes and a working pen.”

It is important to bring multiple copies of your resume to the Career Fair because you should have the goal of talking to many companies.

Stegman explained a student’s goal should be to create connections and network rather than to walk out of the fair with an internship or job.

The Career Fair is a place to make connections and network, not a place to show off your fashion sense.

“Bring your most professional self to the Career Fair,” Stegman  explained.

Some good suggestions for wardrobe are suits, dress pants with a button-down shirt, dress shoes and, for men, ties are a must. Also make sure that your colors coordinate and are muted.

“You don’t want to stand out for the crazy clothes you wear,” Stegman said.

It is important to be remembered by a company for the things you say and the resume you present rather than your physical appearance.

It is a good idea to consult professionals before going to the Career Fair.

“Make an appointment with someone in Career Services beforehand so you are confident in your resume and what you are going to say,” Stegman explained.

Career Services offers many ways to prepare you for the Career Fair: resume review, mock interviews, one-on-one sessions with career coordinators and maps and company information on ISU CMS.

Stegman’s best preparatory advice is to “take advantage of the preparation programs available to you.”