First ISU artist-in-resident’s work displayed

Elissa Gilkey looks at the art displays in Christian Petersen Art Museum while waiting for her turn to perform, Sunday at Morril Hall. Photo: Karuna Ang/Iowa State Daily

Karuna Ang

Sara Schlueter –

Designs and sketches by Iowa State’s Christian Petersen were put on display for a special exhibit open to students and the public Sunday evening at the Christian Petersen Art Museum, located in 1017 Morrill Hall.

Petersen was the first campus artist-in-residence at a college or university in the nation. He taught and created art at Iowa State from 1934 to 1955 and created more than 12 major public sculptures, including the Fountain of the Four Seasons in front of the Memorial Union. 

Through the Art on Campus program, Petersen continues to influence people on the ISU campus and has helped Iowa State achieve the largest public art collection at any college or university in the country, according to the Morrill Hall Web page. 

Petersen came to teach art at Iowa State in the midst of one of the biggest crisis in the nation, the Great Depression. 

“The fact that he came to Iowa State in the heart of the Great Depression shows that the school still found artwork to be important,” said Amanda Hall, university museums program assistant and graduate student in art and design.

“It’s important to see that art is a big part of a university that is focused in science and technology.”

Hall also said she appreciates Petersen’s artistic style.

“When he came here to the Midwest, his style changed and he absorbed the people and culture. He knew his subjects, and that really resonated with me,” Hall said. 

In addition to the artwork, guests at the event got the opportunity to enjoy the ISU Flute Ensemble, directed by Sonja Giles, assistant professor of music. 

“We really like to collaborate with the department of music and art,” said Nancy Gebhart, educator of visual literacy and learning. “We are hoping to do something like this once a semester.”

University museums and the music department have plans to collaborate more in the future. The Christian Petersen reception was the first event at which the music program collaborated with the museum.

The guests at the event had the opportunity to appreciate both the art and music that Iowa State has to offer.  

“I think that it’s really cool that they incorporated music and art in the event,” said Susie Gerner, sophomore in pre-advertising.