Student Government to host civic engagement event

Katlyn Campbell/Iowa State Daily

Jacob Schrader, current IRHA senator, accepts the position of Chair of the Civic Engagement Committee during the first Student Government meeting of the spring semester Jan. 16 in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.

Madelyn Ostendorf

Student Government will be hosting a Civic Engagement 101 event from 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesday in the Pioneer Room of the Memorial Union.

Story County Auditor Lucy Martin will be speaking at the event, as well as members of the League of Women Voters, both of whom will be presenting on topics to help students be empowered and involved in the 2020 election cycle.

“When we look at the campaigns, I think there’s a lot of different rules regarding when you are allowed to register to vote, what is the voter I.D. law and just what can you do on campus to be involved,” Sen. Jacob Schrader said.

The event is intended to inform students on how to get involved in caucuses and the elections and train them on electoral processes.

“It’s a nonpartisan event, we really just care about getting students involved and making sure that they know what to do and kind of taking away the ‘I don’t know where to start.’” Schrader said.