Safety walk encourages student participation in campus security audit

Sarah Longner junior in industrial engineering checks an emergency phone on central campus during a campus safety walk put on by GSB and the ISU police on Tuesday, October 27, 2009. The safety walk is used to check things like lighting and landscaping, and how safe it is on campus. Photo:Kelsey Kremer/Iowa State Daily

Kelsey Kremer

Paige Godden —

The Government of the Student Body and Iowa State Police Department organized a safety walk to identify unsafe areas of campus.

Students were asked to come out, explore campus and explain reasons that they felt made the area was uncomfortable, but only 20 of Iowa State’s 26,000 students showed up to participate, the majority of whom were GSB Senate and Facilities Planning and Management leaders.

Those who participated met in Hoover Hall and were split into 12 groups to search for potential safety hazards on campus.

The groups were directed to look for lights that have burnt out, areas that lack light, dangerous landscaping and walkways or roads with potholes, said Sgt. Elliott Florer of the Iowa State Police Department.

The volunteers were also asked to observe whether some areas would benefit from a stop sign or cross walk, Florer said.

The groups’ findings will be given to the Facilities Planning and Management Office to be reviewed.

Luke Roling, chair of the University Affairs Committee and senior in chemical engineering, and Jordan Smellie, member of the Residence Hall Leadership Committee and senior in music, were assigned to the northeast corner of campus, which included Frederiksen Court and around Kildee Hall.

They found four burnt out lights on the search for hazardous items.

One of the lights listed was a light outside of the walking tunnel heading toward Frederiksen Court from campus.

There was also a burnt out light on the southwest side of Kildee, which was near ominous bushes and could make some students uncomfortable.

Outside of the Transportation Services Building there was fire hydrant covered in grass.

There were also barrels labeled ‘Component B,’ which Smellie said he was concerned by.

The safety phone in the area worked.

The group also visited the veterinary medicine section of campus.

There were three lights out in that area of campus.

Roling said he had received an e-mail from a student wanting more lights outside of the research buildings prior to the event.

The two safety phones in that part of campus were also working.

Another group found some bushes by Bessey Hall that were not inviting, as well as a burnt out light by the Memorial Union. The safety phones in this area were working as well.

“Last year we went out with good intentions, but this year we asked for a list to make sure it’s worth our time,” Roling said.

The residence halls have been doing safety walks since 2005, Smellie said.

The Iowa State Police Department will distribute a list to all participants involved listing the items that were identified and fixed.