VOLLEYBALL: Three-set sweep of Kansas gives team fifth win in-a-row

Shane Lucas —

After starting the conference schedule with a 0–2 record on the road, the ISU volleyball team has apparently found its stride away from home.

The No. 14 Cyclones (14–3, 6≠2 Big 12) beat Kansas (9–7, 2–5) in three sets (25–18, 25–16, 25–17) for their third straight road win and fifth overall Saturday night at the Horejsi Family Athletic Center in Lawrence, Kan.

The 6–2 conference record marks the best start in conference play in school history, improving on a 5–2 start in 2007.

After some problems earlier in the season, the Cyclone defense has been dominant as of late.

Iowa State controlled the net for the third straight match, out-blocking the Jayhawks 13–2. The Cyclones also had the advantage in digs with 54 to the Jayhawks’ 50.

Freshman middle blocker Jamie Straube, who started her second straight match, led the Cyclones at the net with a match-high six block assists.

Junior libero Ashley Mass and sophomore defensive specialist Caitlin Mahoney finished in double-digits for digs with 14 and 10, respectively.

A late 6–1 run gave the Cyclones the win in the first set. Mass recorded two service aces and junior outside hitter Victoria Henson and sophomore outside hitter Rachel Hockaday started their nights with four kills each. The Cyclones were then 14-0 after winning the first set.

Despite a 9–9 tie in the second set, the Cyclones were able to finish strong and take the set.

A few small runs put the Cyclones ahead 15–10 midway through the set and they never looked back.

It was all Iowa State at the net with the Cyclones holding a 5–0 advantage on blocks.

The third set saw another 9–9 tie. However, a 6–0 run by the Cyclones midway through the set put them in the driver’s set to complete the sweep.

Offensively, the Cyclones hit .282 as a team and were led by Henson and Hockaday, who recorded 13 and 10 kills, respectively.

Senior setter Kaylee Manns recorded 34 assists and became the only fifth player in Big 12 history to reach 5,000 assists in a career.

Henson grabbed a milestone of her own, reaching seventh place on Iowa State’s all-time kills list.

Kansas was led by sophomore outside hitter Allison Mayfield who recorded nine kills.

Sophomore setter Nicole Tate recorded 31 assists in the match and junior libero Melissa Manda had a match-high 16 digs.

The Cyclones will be back in action at home when they take on the Aggies of Texas A&M at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday night at Hilton Coliseum.