FOOTBALL: Big 12 Roundup

Nebraska safety Rickey Thenarse reacts to his teams 16-15 loss to Virginia Tech after their NCAA college football game at Lane Stadium in Blacksburg, Va. Saturday Sept 19, 2009. (AP Photo Don Petersen)

Don Petersen

Nebraska safety Rickey Thenarse reacts to his team’s 16-15 loss to Virginia Tech after their NCAA college football game at Lane Stadium in Blacksburg, Va. Saturday Sept 19, 2009. (AP Photo Don Petersen)

Editor’s note: This is the Daily’s weekly look around the rest of the Big 12.

No. 10 Oklahoma Sooners (2–1, 0–0)

Last week: vs. Tulsa (W 45–0)

This week: @ No. 9 Miami (Oct. 3)

Losing Sam Bradford hasn’t seemed to slow the Sooners down since their opening game loss to Brigham Young. Last week against Tulsa, freshman quarterback Landry Jones set the Oklahoma school record — previously held by Heisman winners Jason White and Bradford — with six touchdown passes in the team’s 45–0 rout over in-state foe Tulsa.

Now Oklahoma has two weeks to prepare for its giant match-up against Miami on Oct. 3. Miami, now ranked No. 9 in the Associated Press’ most recent poll, will host the Sooners in a much-anticipated non-conference game.

The Sooners may not have expected, however, that their opponents would be ranked ninth after they entered the season unranked.

Now the high-powered, freshman-led offense will have to play a fast, talented Miami team on the road, truly testing Jones and how he will handle the tough road schedule he will face in the Big 12 this season.

No. 16 Oklahoma State Cowboys (2–1, 0–0)

Last week: vs. Rice (W 45–24)

This week: vs. Grambling State

The Cowboys bounced back well after their crushing loss to Houston in week two by dismantling Rice last week. They will continue to try to regain their national prominence with yet another home non-conference game against FCS’s Grambling State.

Zac Robinson and Dez Bryant hooked up nine times for 161 yards last week, and Robinson completed five other passes for 66 yards, leading people to believe that if they can contain Bryant, they can contain Oklahoma State.

The Oklahoma State defense struggled to stop Houston in the loss, but has looked stout against Rice and week one’s opponent Georgia, giving up just 17 points per game in those two games.

The Cowboys will go up against two average offenses in the next two weeks, before facing Missouri’s wide-open attack in its second Big 12 Conference matchup.

No. 2 Texas (3–0, 1–0)

Last week: vs. Texas Tech (W 34–24)

This week: vs. UTEP

The Longhorns survived their biggest test of the season thus far against the Red Raiders.

Although Texas has remained undefeated, it has not been beating teams quite as soundly as many predicted. Heisman candidate Colt McCoy has struggled a bit as well, throwing four interceptions against just six touchdowns against poor competition.

Although it is far from time to panic for the Longhorns, they will have to pick it up in the coming weeks in order to live up to their high expectations. A largely inept UTEP squad should provide a good chance for the Longhorns to get rolling in the right direction.

Texas Tech (2–1, 0–1)

Last week: vs. No. 2 Texas (L 34–24)

This week: vs. No. 17 Houston

Although the Red Raiders lost, Taylor Potts and company showed they are once again a powerful offense and a power in the Big 12. In typical Red Raider fashion, Potts threw the ball 62 times against the Longhorns, completing 46 of those throws for 420 yards, three touchdowns and an interception.

They will need just as much offense next week against Houston in what may be one of the highest-scoring games of the season.

Houston features Case Keenum at quarterback, who has 725 yards passing in just two games this season. The lowest point total the Cougars have scored so far this year was 45. That came in their stunning 45–35 victory over Oklahoma State.

Texas A&M (2–0, 0–0)

Last week: vs. Utah State (W 38–30)

This week: vs. UAB

Last weekend yielded good news and bad news for Aggies fans. The good news is the Aggies may have found their next great offensive weapon in freshman wide receiver Uzoma Nwachukwu.

Nwachukwu exploded offensively, scoring every time he touched the ball. He had three catches for 101 yards and three touchdowns through the air. He also added one rush for 39 yards and another score just for good measure.

The bad news is that leading receiver, sophomore Jeff Fuller, is out indefinitely with a cracked fibula in his right leg.

Baylor Bears (1–1, 0–0)

Last Week: vs. UConn (L 30–22)

This Week: vs. Northwestern State

The Bears’ real season starts once they wake up from hibernation after this curious start to the season, opening with a win against a middling ACC club in Wake Forest on the road.

Losing at home to a middling Big East team in UConn after a bye week, the Bears are now taking on a winless FCS team before playing another non-conference game against Kent State before Big 12 time.

The Bears lost to UConn despite only committing one turnover and averaging seven yards per carry, extremely uncharacteristic ingredients for a loss.

The almost 2-to-1 time of possession discrepancy didn’t help Art Briles’ club, but Robert Griffin and the boys in green and gold will get one more free mugging this weekend against the school whose claim to fame is beating Iowa in the NCAA Tournament on a last second shot three years ago (Rise and fire!).

No. 25 Nebraska Cornhuskers (2–1, 0–0)

Last week: @ No. 13 Virginia Tech (L 16–15)

This week: vs. Louisiana Lafayette

Nebraska lost a heartbreaker last week to Virginia Tech on a last-minute touchdown after giving up an 81-yard pass to their own three yard line, only allowing 197 total yards up to that point. Needless to say, Husker Nation was hurt. This week, however, Bo Pelini and his team come back home to play Louisiana Lafayette.

Although the Ragin’ Cajuns knocked off Kansas State a few weeks back, they’ll likely be no match for Roy Helu Jr. and the rest of the Cornhusker offense that has averaged 442.3 yards per game. Helu had 169 yards last week, even though he and the rest of the team didn’t find the end zone once, settling for five field goals.

The Nebraska defense has been stout so far in 2009, although against some questionable competition. It had not allowed a team to get over 10 points before playing Virginia Tech, giving up only three to Florida Atlantic and nine to Arkansas State.

Kansas Jayhawks (3–0, 0–0)

Last Week: vs. Duke (W 44–16)

This Week: vs. Southern Miss

The Golden Eagles bring the second-longest win streak in the country to Lawrence to attempt to give the Jayhawks a challenge after their dismantling of the Blue Devils last Saturday.

The Jayhawk defense is the surprise thus far, holding opponents under nine points per contest, while the Flying Mangino offense is putting up 42 per game, second only to Texas in the Big 12.

Quarterback Todd Reesing is still putting up more than 300 yards per game, but he may need it against a balanced Golden Eagle club that has won its last eight games.

Southern Miss. will be experiencing its first game away from home on the year, but its style of play and quarterback Austin Davis’ almost 70 percent completion rate should put the Jayhawks on alert.

Kansas State Wildcats (1–2, 0–0)

Last Week: @ UCLA (L 23–9)

This Week: vs. Tennessee Tech

Kansas State has averaged only 12 points in its last two games, both of which have been on the road. Plus, the Wildcats lost to a UCLA team that was missing its starting quarterback. It seems like a good time to head back to the plains of Manhattan, Kan.

The Wildcats need a shot in the arm like Bill Snyder needs geriatric care, with quarterback Carson Coffman struggling mightily to move the ball and the defense just not holding the opposition enough.

A positive for Kansas State is the play of former quarterback Daniel Thomas, who is starting at running back and throwing down almost 100 yards per game. A 227-pound threat out of the backfield or receiving, Thomas is going to need to shoulder the load to get Kansas State at least one more victory before the Big 12 schedule comes a-callin’.

Colorado Buffaloes (1–2,0–0)

Last week: vs. Wyoming (W 24–0)

This week: @ West Virginia

With its season quickly spiraling out of control after an 0–2 start, Colorado was in desperate need of relief. They found some last week as the Buffaloes shut down Wyoming 24–0 in Boulder.

For the first time all season, Colorado’s defense showed at least some relevance, albeit against an equally subpar Wyoming squad. After throwing four interceptions in his first two games, quarterback Cody Hawkins finally turned out a pick-free game, along with 175 passing yards.

Running back Rodney Stewart, who missed last week’s game with an injured hamstring, returned to produce an impressive 127-yard, two-touchdown performance.

Despite the shutout, Colorado’s play was still nowhere near error-free as the Buffaloes committed 10 penalties for 86 yards.

With an offensively potent West Virginia team awaiting them on Saturday and the start of Big 12 play only a week away, Colorado will need to have continued improvements in a hurry.

Missouri Tigers (3–0, 0–0)

Last week: vs. Furman (W 52–12)

This week: @ Nevada

Three weeks into the season and Missouri’s offense has shown no signs of slowing down. Sophomore quarterback Blaine Gabbert continued to build on his dynamic debut season, leading the Tigers to a 52–12 thrashing of Furman last week.

Gabbert drummed up 256 yards and three touchdowns through the air, as well as a 40-yard touchdown run in the second quarter. Wide receiver Jared Perry became the favored target of the game as he reeled in seven passes for 161 yards and two touchdowns.

The Tigers also totaled 196 rushing yards. After Nebraska’s loss to Virginia Tech, Missouri now finds itself tied with Kansas as the only undefeated teams in the Big 12 North.

Missouri will get one last tune-up this week, before a brutal three-game stretch against Nebraska, Oklahoma State and Texas to start Big 12 play.