Pajama project arrives on campus

Patricia Walsh, advising coordinator for the Department of Human Development and Family Services, left, and Brenda Lohman, human development and family studies club advisor, show pajamas that have been collected so far Monday afternoon, Sept. 28, 2009 in Palmer. The service project is called Helens Pajama Party and it is to benefit women who have been domestically assaulted. Photo: Eloisa Perez-Lozano/Iowa State Daily

Eloisa Perez-Lozano

Patricia Walsh, advising coordinator for the Department of Human Development and Family Services, left, and Brenda Lohman, human development and family studies club advisor, show pajamas that have been collected so far Monday afternoon, Sept. 28, 2009 in Palmer. The service project is called Helen’s Pajama Party and it is to benefit women who have been domestically assaulted. Photo: Eloisa Perez-Lozano/Iowa State Daily

Sara Schlueter —

Slipping on a pair of cozy pajamas before heading to bed is something many people do not consider being a luxury. However, for women who have experienced domestic abuse or violence, the simplicity of a pair of pajamas can offer comfort.

A non-profit organization, Helen’s Pajama Party, stationed in Des Moines, strives to bring comfort to women who are forced to flee their homes and abusers “with nothing but the clothes on their backs,” according to the organization’s Web site.

“Violence to women is amazingly prevalent,” said Kelly Sargent, executive director for the organization. “This happens more often than what we tend to think.”

To help the cause, this past August, Helen’s Pajama Party collected 450 pairs of brand new pajamas to donate to the Children and Families of Iowa Domestic Violence Shelter in Des Moines.

In the Ames area alone, about 150 women escape domestic abuse situations each year. In order to comfort these women that come to the shelters, Helen’s Pajama Party initiated a drive in Ames to collect at least 150 pairs of brand new pajamas for the first time.

Iowa State stepped up to help with this drive with an initiative by Patricia Walsh, academic advisor department of human development and family studies. The goal of the project at Iowa State is to collect twenty pairs of new pajamas.

“I thought that this project was a good match for our college and the learning communities in it,” Walsh said. 

A number of student organizations within the department of human development and family studies including the Human Development and Family Studies Learning Community, Human Development and Family Studies Club, Child Development Club, HRI Club and National Society of Minorities in Hospitality Club. 

“I am really thrilled to have this project go right to the students,” Sargent said.

The College of Human Sciences will place bins in Room 131 in MacKay Hall and Room 2330 in Palmer Hall throughout the month of October to collect brand new women’s pajamas with tags still attached.

Students are encouraged to donate pop cans or bottles or their refunds if they are unable to donate new pajamas.

Bins will be set up in MacKay, Palmer, and Lebaron halls for donations. All proceeds will support the ACCESS [Assault Care Center Extending Shelter and Support] Shelter, the local domestic violence shelter. 

“There are lots of different occasions where abuse and violence takes place,” Walsh said. “In a way we are helping create awareness.”