ClubFest brings new opportunities

Mike Bal, senior in advertising, demonstrates a break-dancing move for the Hip Hop Club at Club Fest in the Memorial Union on Wednesday. Photo: Laurel Scott/Iowa State Daily

Laurel SCott

– By Sara Schlueter

The Great Hall of the Memorial Union was jam packed with about 3,000 curious students, Wednesday, who attended this year’s ClubFest.

ClubFest featured 200 of the 776 ISU clubs and organizations. Many new campus organizations were not showcased because they were unable to register on time to be featured at the event.

Despite this, student reactions to ClubFest were positive.

“ClubFest had a wide variety of activities that included a little something for everyone,” said Laura Anderson, freshman in meteorology. 

The organizations Iowa State offers include clubs that focus on student government, recreation, multicultural groups, international groups, religious groups and Greek life.

In addition to being a part of a club, organizations also offer various activities within the group.

For example, the Cyclone Stampede is one of the organizations students with a unique interest can participate in.

The group puts on a rodeo every year — this year will be the 47th event.

Besides recreational clubs, there are also a select number that focus on government.

One represented at ClubFest was the College Republicans club.

This club invites Republican leaders to deliver presentations at Iowa State. Next week, the group will invite the Republican candidates running for governor to come to campus. 

“At Iowa State, there are more conservatives than what you would expect because of agriculture. Also, we want people to know that the party is changing,” said Corey Becker, senior in political science and ISU Republicans’ executive director.

For some of the organizations at ClubFest, their goals were getting their name out to the students and getting them interested in their organizations. 

“ClubFest has a wide range of groups that come and they can see our letters and see what we are about. It’s really good for public relations,” said Ellie Skowronek, junior in advertising and Kappa Delta sorority member.  

Although ClubFest helps students gain exposure to what Iowa State offers in addition to academics, the set up of the event did spark a few problems. 

“For me, ClubFest was too crowded and unorganized. It made me not want to join a club,” said Jenna Gupta, freshman in civil engineering.

Through ClubFest, students are able to get involved in school, learn new things and eventually meet new people.  

Though many clubs were not represented at ClubFest, students can still get information on, or sign up for these organizations at www.sac.iastate.edu.