Renovations continuing on schedule

The swimming pool in State Gym sits empty. A new pool in State Gym is being built in what is currently a parking lot. The pool will include leisure areas as well as lap swimming. Photo: Laurel Scott/Iowa State Daily

Laurel Scott

Bethany Pint —

In two years, ISU students will be able to access renovated recreational areas on campus. Renovations to Beyer Hall, State Gymnasium and the Lied Recreation Athletic Center are scheduled to be completed by August 2011, said managers of the $52.8 million project.

Beyer Hall

Remodeling in Beyer Hall began in mid-July. About 30 percent of the remodeling is complete, said Robert Holzwarth, architect with facilities planning and management.

This summer, Garry Greenlee, associate director of intramural sports and facility operations, worked with about seven students to convert an old locker room into storage areas for ISU clubs. Nearly 900 lockers were taken out of the locker room; 200 of those will be used elsewhere after the renovation process.

Work in Beyer Hall includes the construction of recreation locker rooms, a help desk and a vending area. Holzwarth said the Beyer Hall phase of the project is expected to be completed at the beginning of 2010.

Greenlee said Beyer Hall will “never” be closed during the renovation process.

“The work to be done at Beyer Hall is small, and isolated to the southwest corner and lower hallway, so we will be able to remain open and not affect any activity or classroom areas,” Greenlee said.

After renovations, the only entrance to Beyer Hall will be through the southwest side. An elevated skywalk will connect Beyer to State Gym. The entrances, one through Beyer and one through State Gym, will be controlled access points. This means students will swipe their ISU cards to gain access to the areas.

The controlled access areas will help staff keep track of who is in the building at any given time, said Scott White, associate director of recreational services. Because users need ISU cards to use the facilities, Ames residents won’t be able to utilize those buildings or services.

“The community has depended on Beyer Hall and State Gym for community recreation for years. And you know what? I don’t like to be a jerk about it, but it’s not fair,” White said. “They don’t contribute anything to it … they shouldn’t be here. And in some ways, it may force the city of Ames to take a hard look at what they’re providing in terms of indoor parks and rec. operations.”

Edge Commercial LLC is the general contractor for the Beyer Hall remodeling and the State Gym exterior phase of the project.

There are 17 subcontractors working on remodeling and construction efforts.

State Gym

Located just south of Beyer Hall, State Gym will undergo construction and renovation. The construction fence will go up around State Gym on Sept. 22, Greenlee said.

“We plan on leaving the building open for basketball and the [use of the] track as long as possible,” he said. “Once they come in to tuck point, replace windows and roofing, we may close earlier if safety is a concern.”

Construction to the State Gym’s west side will include: a gymnasium, fitness and free weights area, aquatic facilities and recreational pool, jogging and walking track, group exercise and multi-purpose activity rooms, recreation locker rooms, main lobby and control desk, climbing wall and a vending area.

Renovations to the 1913 building will include: gymnasium handrails and floor, outdoor recreation, club sports and multi-purpose activity rooms, recreation offices and conference room, fitness assessment and areas for equipment storage and laundry.

White said the original plans included demolishing State Gym and starting over. However,  those involved with the project decided to keep the building

because of its historical presence at Iowa State.

“It’s a historic state gym,” White said. “It’s a hundred years old, and all kinds of alums have gone through here and done things here, and so let’s keep it, let’s refurbish it, let’s make it look really nice and we’ll add on.”

Holzwarth said it’s still going to have the “feel” of State Gym.

“We’re going to maintain kind of the character of the building, but it’s going to be more modern.”

He said the new windows will have the same style of window frames that currently occupy the area.

However, the construction will negatively affect parking near State Gym. Holzwarth said less parking will be available and that the proposed Intermodal Transportation Center in Campustown could help relieve the already-strained parking situation.

Bids for the last and largest portion of the recreation renovation project, “State Gym Renovation and West Addition,” are due Nov. 12.

Lied Athletic Recreation Center

Improvements to the Lied Athletic Recreation Center will include ventilation to some parts of the building and air conditioning to other areas. The following areas will be affected: student center, fitness and free weights areas, jogging and walking track, locker rooms, handball and racquetball courts, and the wrestling room.

Greenlee said work has been started in Lied, but is not yet completed.

Harold Pike Construction, LLC, is the general contractor for the work at Lied.

Six subcontractors are also working on this phase.