A glimpse of the game

Keith Rush of Griswold High School attempts to break a tackle on Saturday, July 25, 2009, night during the Iowa Shrine Bowl at Jack Trice Stadium in Ames. Photo: Josh Harrell/Iowa State Daily

Josh Harrell

Shane Lucas –

Two incoming ISU football players got an early glimpse of their future home and showed what they are capable of during the 37th annual Shrine Bowl on Saturday night.

Wide receiver Josh Lenz, freshman in open option — liberal arts and sciences, played for the north team, grabbed offensive most valuable player honors. South linebacker Jake Knott, freshman in open option — liberal arts and sciences, played a large role on the defense that shut the north down for the majority of the game.

The north team came out on top, 21-17, after a wild fourth quarter that saw 28 points scored between the two teams.

“Our defense held them in check for a while, but eventually they were able to just break out,” Knott said.

Lenz was able to shake off his own slow start to the game, which included losing a fumble on the game’s opening kickoff.

“I was saying to myself ‘oh god, that’s not a good way to start it,’” Lenz said. “It’s just a good thing I was able to finish off strong.”

The south led the game 10-0 until the fourth quarter, when the north punched in its first touchdown at the 12-minute mark. Lenz followed with a 58-yard punt return for a touchdown just two minutes later, giving the north its first lead of the game. Following a go-ahead touchdown by the south, Lenz caught the game-winning 54-yard touchdown with 2:16 left in the fourth quarter. He finished the game with three catches for a team-high 67 receiving yards, one carry for 11 yards, 62 punt return yards and 109 kick return yards.

“It’s huge to come out to Jack Trice and play,” Lenz said. “After that fumble, I just decided to keep my head up and keep playing.”

Knott finished the game with one tackle and two passes defended, playing linebacker in the first and third quarters and on special teams throughout the game. Although his team came out on the losing end, Knott said he enjoyed his first experience at Jack Trice and is looking forward to the upcoming season.

“It was great,” Knott said. “I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else.”

Both players wore the number 20 for the game, giving ISU fans in attendance an easy way to keep track of them. Although they were playing for opposing teams, the two were able to strike up a friendship and are going to be roommates in the upcoming year.

The north’s victory snapped a three-year winning streak by the south, including a 41-0 blowout in last year’s game. The north squad now leads the all-time series 19-17-1.