Celebrating America’s independence

Students play a game during the International Friendship Connection cookout event at Brookside park. It is an annual event for international students to celebrate American holiday together. Photo : Jay Bai / Iowa State Daily

Jay Bai

James Heggen –

International students got a taste of American Culture Saturday, celebrating the country’s independence.

Nearly 175 people gathered at Brookside Park to celebrate the Fourth of July in an event put on by the International Friendship Connection.

Jack Owens, director of the group, said it was the fourth year for the event, which is a way for international students to experience America’s Independence Day and to learn about the country.

Owens created the group in 1996 as a way to help international students meet people and learn about American culture. The group is sponsored by Cornerstone Church, 56829 U.S. Highway 30.

The celebration included a cookout, games, a skit based on the signing of the Declaration of Independence, Christian worship songs and a dance performance. Those in attendance also had the opportunity to walk, as a group, to the Maple-Willow-Larch fields and watch the city’s fireworks display.

“We’re just always happy to do this and to serve them,” he said.

Sunny Ma, Owen’s assistant, finished her master’s degree in journalism and mass communication two years ago. She now works at Cornerstone but is originally from China. She said that in China, they celebrate National Day. However, it is much different than the way Americans celebrate the Fourth of July.

“People just get together with their families,” she said.

Ma said it’s not typical for international students to grill out.

“For internationals, it’s an experience,” she said.

For Protogene Ndahayo, this was the first time being in America for Independence Day. Ndahayo, who is currently taking English courses and will be taking classes at Iowa State in the fall, is from Rwanda.

Ndahayo said what he noticed and really enjoyed was the personal side of the celebration. In Rwanda, he said, the government sets up celebrations for holidays, so it feels more for the sake of the government than for the people.

“Everyone is excited about the Fourth of July,” he said. “That is what’s special for me.”

Raymond Sidharta, an alumnus who became involved in the group after he graduated from the university, said he has lived in the United States since 2000. He is originally from Indonesia. He said his favorite part of the Fourth of July celebrations is the fireworks.

“It’s nothing like this,” he said of how Indonesia celebrates its Independence Day.

Sidharta said it is important to hold events like this for international students, because, unlike their American classmates, they do not usually travel home for holidays.

“One thing is to get them connected with friends,” he said.