WOMEN’S TRACK AND FIELD: Wright’s qualifying time leads way for women

Jake Lovett

This weekend the ISU women’s track and field team had several personal-best marks and one NCAA Regional qualifying time at the Sun Angel Track Classic in Tempe, Ariz. and the Jim Duncan Invitational in Des Moines.

The sprints group competed in Arizona, while the rest of the athletes competed in Des Moines.

Junior Lashawn Wright led the way for the women in the desert by putting up a 23.94 in the 200-meter dash — easily qualifying her for the NCAA Regional competition.

Standout freshman Kianna Elahi also had a tremendous performance at the Sun Angel Classic, recording a 1:01.01 in the 400-meter hurdles in just her second competition in the event. Elahi’s time was just over a second off of the Regional qualifying time, and two seconds off the qualifying time she achieved two weeks ago in her fist competition.

In Des Moines, the throwers dominated their events, achieving five top-five finishes.

In the shot-put competition, freshman Danielle Frere took first place with a throw of 48-08 and sophomore Britta Christofferson finished less than a foot behind her young teammate in second.

The hammer throw had a similar outcome for the Cyclone throwers. Christofferson and senior Amy Waggoner finished second and third, respectively, while Frere and sophomore Lillian Sawhill finished eighth and ninth.

Prior to the meet, the coaches said they had hoped for warmer weather in Arizona to see some improved times on the track. However, the temperature in Tempe was similar to that in Des Moines — giving the athletes little advantage.

“I felt like we accomplished a lot,” head coach Corey Ihmels said in a news release. “We had some good performances and some not-so-good performances, but overall it was a good weekend.”