Varieties 2009 final round this weekend

Varieties Be the Revolution took place Friday February 13, 2009 in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union. Photo: Molly McKernan/Iowa State Daily

Molly McKernan

Varieties “Be the Revolution” took place Friday February 13, 2009 in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union. Photo: Molly McKernan/Iowa State Daily

Allison Clarke —

Beginning more than 70 years ago, Varieties has been one of Iowa State’s not-so-well-known traditions. 2009 Varieties will come to end this weekend, with the final rounds Friday and Saturday.

Not just for the Greek community, this talent show welcomes all who are interested. It is fun for the whole family.

Varieties is student-run and is sponsored by the Student Union Board. Not only is it a chance for those involved to exhibit their creative talents, but it is also a way for them to gain experience in performance and production.

Starting in September, students signed up through the Producer or Vignettes/Emcee Chair.

For the skits category, groups, generally consisting of Greek houses, serenaded other groups in order to form a pairing. After that, the groups picked songs and created a plot that had to run for 20 minutes, which then had to be approved by the Varieties Central Committee. Once their scripts and songs were approved, they began practice.

Then began the three-step elimination process starting in December. First cuts were a way for all those involved — skits, vignettes, and emcees — to receive feedback from the judges and the Varieties committee on ways to perfect their performance. Next came second cuts, which took place last two weekends, when eight judges began to eliminate participants down from five to three skits, four vignettes, and one emcee.

“They all have worked very hard making up dance moves and singing,” said Katherine Pivec, senior in art and design, and this year’s Varieties producer.

Pivec is in charge of working with the production’s adviser, Memorial Union Staff, and overseeing the committee. Pivec mentioned that their focus was to get people outside of the Greek community to get involved. However, she knows that it’s “hard for non-Greeks because of the time commitment.”

Lucas Novotny, graduate student in educational leadership and policy studies, and the adviser for the show, said he would also love to have people outside the Greek community participate.

“It’s really cool to see the people you’re advising perform. I was really blown away,” he said.

One of those students is Lisa Maubach, junior in marketing. Performing in the skit “Hope for the Holidays”, Maubach was one of six co-directors who developed the skit.

“We created a skit that was unique, and that would appeal to all ages,” she said.

The plot is a spoiled little princess named Holly, who doesn’t understand the spirit of giving. She is sentenced to a town of magical cheer until she can learn to have faith and spirit of he holidays before her Christmas beauty pageant. While there, she meets such characters as Christopher Columbus, Dracula and the Easter Bunny.

“Our skit started out as just a simple idea and turned into a fun extracurricular activity that each cast, crew, tech, and band member looked forward to participating in,” she said. “It means a lot to me, not only because of all the time and effort that has been put in to this skit, but also how we’ve learned to work as a team and the friendships that we’ve made.”

Varieties finalists:

Skits

Mystery on Board

The Regal Crown

Hope for the Holidays

Royal Ruckus in Edinham

Vignettes

Hip-hop duo Philly D and XL

Dancer Amy V.

Soloist Michelle Wallace

A Cappella group All in Moderation

Grandma Mojo’s Moonshine Revival will also performing in between skits

The final round of Varieties, or “Sweepstakes,” is Friday at 6 p.m. and 9 p.m., and Saturday at 8 p.m. in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

Tickets are $8 for students, $10 for the public, and $4 for children under 12. They are available at the Maintenance Shop Box Office, which is open 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. For more information about tickets, call 515-294-8349.

Varieties is an ISU tradition featuring original student productions in two categories:

Skits — 20 minute original musical productions

Vignettes — A short solo or group performance that entertains the audience between skits