VOLLEYBALL: Youth fuels Cyclones in second round upset

Travis J. Cordes

MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. – The line under their names may read ‘freshman’, but the first year players for the ISU volleyball team played like seasoned veterans in their first career NCAA Tournament appearance.

All five freshmen on the Iowa State roster saw playing time in Minneapolis this weekend, and three of them were responsible for a large portion of the teams’ offensive firepower.

Three of them combined for 37 kills and a .359 attack percentage in the second round upset over No. 6 national seed Minnesota.

This comes as a polar opposite from last years’ run to the round of 16, when a senior-laden lineup helped Iowa State upset the No. 7 seed Wisconsin, a victory that also came on the opponents’ home court.

“It’s pretty amazing to think that three of our five hitters on the floor are freshmen,” said Iowa State coach Christy Johnson. “They are composed, they don’t panic, and always stay aggressive.”

Outside hitter Rachel Hockaday tallied 27 kills in the two victories last weekend, and also added 13 and 17 digs, giving her a double double in each match.

“Hockaday continues to take hard swing after swing,” said Johnson. “You would never guess by watching her that she was a freshman.”

Debbie Stadick and Kelsey Petersen were also huge factors in the second round win on Minnesota’s home court, as they recorded 11 and 10 kills and seven and five blocks, respectively. The two teamed up for four of the teams’ ten blocks against the Gophers on Saturday night.

“Deb has been playing really well lately,” said Johnson. “When she subbed in (against Northern Iowa) it felt like she was really in rhythm with Kaylee (Manns), and we’re really comfortable with her in there.”

The future couldn’t be brighter for a Cyclone team that starts just two seniors and one junior. Iowa State also just added to their already stellar list of underclassmen, as they inked four prep standouts last month in what may be the best recruiting class ever for the program.

Sophomores Victoria Henson and Ashley Mass also proved their talent in Minneapolis over the weekend, as Henson worked her opponents for a pair of 25-kill matches, and also posted ten digs in each for her second and third career double-doubles.

Mass recorded a total of 37 digs in the two matches, which was good enough to break the Iowa State record for digs in a single season.

Just a redshirt sophomore, the somewhat undersized five-foot-ten Henson is quickly becoming a force to be reckoned with on the national collegiate volleyball scene.

“Victoria has emerged as a go-to player for us,” Johnson said. “I think she has become one of the best outside hitters in the country. I told her last night that we’re getting kind of spoiled because we have relied on her so much and she has become such a great player.”

The young Cyclone players have another tough challenge facing them next weekend, when they travel to Austin, Texas to face the No. 11 seed Oregon Ducks in the NCAA Regional Semifinal. No. 3 seed and host Texas, along with No. 14 UCLA make up the opposite side of the regional bracket.