The memories of the holidays

Scott Henry, freshman in agricultural business, Justin Pierce, freshman in aerospace engineering, and Ryan Budding, sophomore in environmental science, all members of Farm House, make some finishing adjustments to the Christmas tree in their foyer. Decorating three trees was a part of a Christmas decorating house activity Sunday. Photo: Valerie Allen/Iowa State Daily

Valerie Allen

Alissa Atkinson

Alicia Wengert and her mother left the mall with what she thought was her father’s Christmas gift. For more than a month, she was convinced the big brown box in the living room was a stereo for her father.

“Don’t tell him,” her mother said.

But it eventually slipped, and she felt like she ruined Christmas.

On Christmas Day, however, her dad asked her to open the present with him. After hesitating slightly, she agreed to assist him, only to find the big brown box didn’t contain a stereo, but a beautiful dollhouse.

Wengert, sophomore in elementary education, smiled ear to ear recalling this moment.

That Christmas was special to Wengert, not because of the dollhouse, but because of the effort and thought her parents put into making the surprise.

For as long as she can remember, Wengert has enjoyed catching up with family over oyster stew and a variety of other seafood dishes on Christmas Eve. Each year, Wengert and her two siblings, Ryan and Emily, leave cookies for Santa Claus and carrots for his reindeer.

To Wengert, the holidays are a time to look back on fond Christmas memories and spend time with those close to her.

Over the holidays “generosity, love, hope for world peace and respect for all mankind — the things that matter the most in life — seem to shine through in people,” Wengert said. “It is a time when people are reminded of how fortunate they are.”

When purchasing gifts, she avoids purchasing gift cards, as they take away the fun of picking out a meaningful gift.

“I believe it is the kosher thing to set a limit on how much to spend on gifts,” Wengert said. This way, everyone is aware of the financial situation and no one “out-gives.”

The religious aspect of Christmas is important to her as well.

Through her church, St. Thomas Aquinas, 2210 Lincoln Way, Wengert’s family donates gifts, which are then anonymously delivered to families in need. The tradition of giving to the less fortunate is something Wengert hopes to continue with her own family in the future. She believes it’s important to remember how fortunate she is, especially around the holidays.

Jamie Stueve, sophomore in hotel, restaurant and institution management, has been playing “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree,” and “It’s Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas,” since November. Although that may be too soon for some, it’s nothing out of the ordinary for this Christmas fanatic.

As a five-year-old, Stueve would snoop through all of the packages. She’d tear off pieces of wrapping paper to get a closer glimpse at what might be underneath. If that failed, Stueve unwrapped the entire package, peek inside and re-wrap the gift to the best of her ability, with the hopes of not being found out.

Stueve’s enthusiasm with Christmas hasn’t waned over the years. When walking into her apartment, the snow globes on the shelves will likely stand out.

“I have an obsession with snow globes,” Stueve said.

One of the best gifts Stueve remembers receiving was a snow globe from her boyfriend last year.

“It was special because it had a picture of the two of us inside,” she said.

Stueve elaborately decorates her apartment because it makes her feel more at home.

“Everyone is so jolly and people are excited to decorate and give,” she said. 

For those who may not have extra cash, making gifts by hand can be a fun and inexpensive option.

“I’ve made Christmas and Hanukkah cookies, ornaments and pottery,” Wengert said.

Stueve appreciates gifts because of their meaning, not their price tag. If money is an issue, Stueve said making themed gift baskets is a good idea.

“I like movie-themed baskets,” Stueve said. “You could put a movie in, popcorn, candy and a gift card.”

Wengert also suggested playing Secret Santa, in which a group of people draw each other’s names to buy gifts secretly, or White Elephant, in which people exchange joke gifts.

Holiday giving

Alicia Wengert, sophomore in elementary education, and Jamie Stueve, sophomore in hotel, restaurant and institution management, said giving to the less fortunate at Christmas time is something they find worthwhile and rewarding.

Shoppers can provide support for the Ames community through the Mid-Iowa Community Action’s food pantry, 125 S. Third St. Unit 100; Assault Care Center Extending Shelter and Support; Beyond Welfare, Inc., 130 S. Sheldon Ave.; Habitat for Humanity for Central Iowa, 401 Clark Ave. Unit 100; and others. A card and a synopsis sheet of the project selected will be provided upon donating. Five of the 38 projects have been selected as appropriate for children to give to family and friends. For more information visit the Web site www.alternativegifts.org.