UDCC (8:15 p.m.): Quiet, as polls near close

Renee Pike, freshman in construction engineering, fills in the ballot on Tuesday afternoon, at Ward 4 Precinct 5, UDCC. Photo: Shing Kai Chan/Iowa State Daily

Whitney Sager

The Union Drive Community Center’s voting station has been rather quiet during the last hours of voting.

With the number of voters reaching 840 at the top of the seven o’clock hour, election officials monitoring the polling location were given time to relax after a day of long lines and impatient students.

“It has been very busy here,” said Julie Erickson, election official. “But the last couple of hours have been pretty slow.”

As predicted, there has been a large increase in the number of young voters compared to previous elections.

“There have been a lot of first-time voters, since they are college students,” Erickson said.

The absence of lines at the voting location made for fast and easy voting for students.

“I was in there less than five minutes,” said Brianna Upton, sophomore in chemistry.

As for a trend in the way students were voting, it seemed to be a coin toss, with equal numbers of students voting for the Democratic and Republican ticket.

Upton chose to vote for the Democratic presidential candidate, Barack Obama.

“I believe in his ideas of change for this country,” Upton said.

However, for one voter, a little last minute decision making led him to vote for the Republican presidential candidate, John McCain.

“It was a hard decision to make,” said Jordan Smellie, senior in music. cq “I spent a lot of time today talking to people on campus. I also talked to my parents to see what their thoughts were.”

In the end, it was Obama’s stance on abortion that made him choose McCain.