SWIMMING: Cyclones sweep their dual meets

Derek Wissmiller, left, a graduate student in mechanical Engineering, and Pedro Ortiz, a doctorate student in chemical and biological engineering, discuss the production of Hydrogen just before the news conference in Lee Liu Auditorium at Howe Hall. The Lieutenant Governor spoke on the increased focus on both renewable energy and the bioeconomy, congratulating Iowa State University on the plans for the BRL building. Photo: Logan Gaedke /Iowa State DailyFrances Calzada, sophmore pre-business, readies herself for a race Friday January 18, 2007 in Beyer Hall. The ISU womens swim team faced St. Olaf at 6:00 p.m. and won with a final score of 185 to 106. Photo: Kevin Zenz/Iowa State Daily

Kevin Zenz

Derek Wissmiller, left, a graduate student in mechanical Engineering, and Pedro Ortiz, a doctorate student in chemical and biological engineering, discuss the production of Hydrogen just before the news conference in Lee Liu Auditorium at Howe Hall. The Lieutenant Governor spoke on the increased focus on both renewable energy and the bioeconomy, congratulating Iowa State University on the plans for the BRL building. Photo: Logan Gaedke /Iowa State DailyFrances Calzada, sophmore pre-business, readies herself for a race Friday January 18, 2007 in Beyer Hall. The ISU women’s swim team faced St. Olaf at 6:00 p.m. and won with a final score of 185 to 106. Photo: Kevin Zenz/Iowa State Daily

Anna Hohenstien

The Cyclones continued their strong start to the season, winning their third and fourth dual meets by defeating South Dakota State and Western Illinois on Saturday.

Iowa State scored 117 points from placing first in every event. The Cyclones also placed second in 10 of the 12 events, beating the Jackrabbits’ and Leathernecks’ combined scores.

The 400-yard medley relay typically sets the pace for the Cyclones in each meet. Lindsay Wegner, Jeli Nixt, Abby Glaser and Kalyn Amundsen combined to take first place by a margin of six seconds.

“It determines how the first half of the meet will go,” Frances Calzada said.

Calzada owned the sprint free style races, winning first in the 50- and 100-yard freestyle and contributing as the anchor swimmer in another first place finish in the 400-yard relay.

“I try to have a clean start and make sure I touch the wall first,” Calzada said. “In the 100, I try to have a good starting pace and get faster every 25 yards.”

In the middle distance swims, Calzada said sophomore Kalyn Amundsen has really learned a lot from her freshman year and is growing, as a competitor, racing in practice against Lindsey Behrens, who won the 200-yard freestyle against SDSU and WI by two seconds.

The distance freestyle races were also dominated by the Cyclones. Jenny Vondenkamp and Megan Thompson together took first and second in the 1650-yard freestyle. Chelsea Tomek and Taylor Vieau also combined for 13 points in the 500-yard freestyle.

In a weaker event for the Cyclones, Vieau, a freshman, stepped up to finish first for Iowa State in the 400-yard IM.

The Cyclones are showing strength in their diving squad, scoring consistently. Tien Tran took first in another meet and was followed closely by Kali Fryklund.

In their two-and-a-half week break, the Cyclones plan to continue their training, correcting techniques where necessary. “We need to keep working hard,” Calzada said.

The Cyclones will travel to Lincoln, Neb., on Nov. 20 to compete in the Nebraska Invitational.