MWL (2:13 p.m.): Students skipping lunch to vote greeted with candy

Voters reach for some candy from James Boyle, senior in Forestry, while waiting in line at Ward 2, Precinct 2, Tuesday at Frederiksen Court. Boyle had several bags of candy to keep voters from leaving if the line got too long. Photo: Logan Gaedke/Iowa State Daily

Ryne Dittmer –

Auna Gould’s warm smile greets students entering the Maple-Willow-Larch residence hall. In her hands, a bag of candy to feed the hungry voters who, she was told, skipped lunch to head to the polls.

“It’s my first time being able to vote, so why not help,” said Gould, freshman in general pre-veterinary medicine.

Gould, along with many first time voters, has taken steps beyond just filling in their ballots.

Those who helped with registration and assisted at early voting sites were part of the steady stream of students voting in the early afternoon.

“The youth turnout here has been good, considering it’s a campus,” said election official Frank Randall. “I think we’ve had a high percentage of students turn out.”

Motivation to enter the polls varied with the individual voter.

Students described the excitement of their first major election, as well as encouragement from peers as reasons they joined the lines.

“[I voted] as to not complain about the president” said Deisi Acevedo, freshman in psychology and first time voter.

No matter the reason, these new voters have made their presence known.