FOOTBALL: Offense hindered by running game

Iowa States Alexander Robinson, 33, turns up the field while recieving pressure from Nebraskas Armando Murillo, 6, and Tyler Wortman, 53, during the game on Saturday at Jack Trice Stadium. The Cyclone offense had 25 carries for 105 yards compared to the Cornhusker offensive total of 41 carries for 220 yards. Photo: Josh Harrell/Iowa State Daily

Josh Harrell

Iowa State’s Alexander Robinson, 33, turns up the field while recieving pressure from Nebraska’s Armando Murillo, 6, and Tyler Wortman, 53, during the game on Saturday at Jack Trice Stadium. The Cyclone offense had 25 carries for 105 yards compared to the Cornhusker offensive total of 41 carries for 220 yards. Photo: Josh Harrell/Iowa State Daily

Luke Plansky —

The ISU football team got a lift from running back Alexander Robinson in Saturday’s 35-7 loss to Nebraska, but the running game as a whole continues to let the team down.

On the Cyclones’ second offensive play in the second half, Robinson sprinted for a 67-yard touchdown, trimming the Cornhuskers’ lead to 21-7. Iowa State’s other 24 rushes, however, netted just 38 yards.

Head coach Gene Chizik said the lack of a ground game is hurting not only the offense, but the whole team “from top to bottom.” Iowa State’s offense only had two first downs in the first half.

“That doesn’t give you any hope, and right now that’s kind of where we’re at,” Chizik said.

Iowa State (2-5, 0-3 Big 12) had 10 rushes for 12 yards in the first half. Nebraska had 19 first downs and a 21-point lead going into halftime, but Robinson’s touchdown run gave the Cyclones new life in the third quarter.

The Cyclones wasted the opportunity on offense, failing to sustain drives and score points in their fifth straight loss. Nebraska (4-3, 1-2) scored on its final two possessions of the game to seal the win.

After Robinson’s run, the Cyclones had four 3-play possessions, but two lengthy drives resulted in no points. Tight end Derrick Catlett fumbled at the NU 26-yard line with just over five minutes left in the third quarter.

On the next play, ISU cornerback Leonard Johnson forced and recovered a fumble at the NU 42-yard line. The offense then converted a fourth-and-two and moved the ball to the 18-yard line before stalling. True freshman kicker Grant Mahoney then missed a 40-yard field goal.

Iowa State converted just two of 13 third downs. Entering the game, the Cyclones had converted just 32.9 percent of their third down opportunities.

Quarterback Austen Arnaud said the offense has no one to blame but itself.

“Nothing about the play-calls, the coaches are doing the right things,” the sophomore said. “It’s just that as an offense, we’ve got to run the football better. Today we had a couple issues with protection, and me not throwing the ball in the right place or going in the wrong way.”

Chances of Arnaud succeeding are being hurt by the running game, as the Cyclones were repeatedly forced into longer third-down situations after failed rushing attempts.

Last week, coaches shuffled personnel on the offensive line, moving sophomore Matt Hulbert out of the starting lineup at right tackle.

Redshirt freshman Kelechi Osemele took his spot, but the running game continued to be ineffective.

“It affects you getting first downs. It affects you eating the clock if you need to. It affects you when it comes to your defense being able to stay off the field,” Chizik said of the running game. “It affects you when it comes to field position, because if you can run it, you can grind it out and get some first downs. It’s affecting our whole football team.”

The Husker offense held the ball for 37:11, compared with 22:49 for the Cyclones.

Running back J.J. Bass had a 10-yard run in the fourth quarter, while Arnaud had a personal game-best run of nine yards.

Iowa State’s running backs averaged a combined 57.4 rushing yards over their previous five games.

“Week in and week out, we’re saying the same thing,” Chizik said. “We showed glimmers of hope there tonight but certainly not enough.”